• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Used Can Opener on Ranger

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I installed a Explorer Roof Rack to the shell. I actually narrowed it 2" to be able to mount it to the thicker part of the shell with screws without through bolting to keep the inside nice. I have ordered slats which will be installed between the racks rails to protect and strengthen the shell. It will give gear boxes something to sit on, spread the weight, and not sand and scuff the top of the shell. I am also hoping it will dampen the big, booming, bass that the top produces every time I hit a bump. More pics and review when I get them. They mount easily with that good 3M two sided tape.

Last edited:

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Made wedge to level cup holders:

More "finishing" to come.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I mounted the slats and only got a slight amount of sound dampening if any. So decided to use the peel and stick roofing material on top of the shell. It worked, I no longer get the big base boom from the shell every bump!!! It may also help reflect the heat of the sun.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I mounted the slats and only got a slight amount of sound dampening if any. So decided to use the peel and stick roofing material on top of the shell. It worked, I no longer get the big base boom from the shell every bump!!! It may also help reflect the heat of the sun.
Any tar smell with that stuff? I was thinking of using it on the floor of my truck but someone said it stinks... I haven't gotten to that point yet.

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
No, it doesn't have any odor that I can tell at all. I did the whole interior in my BII and worked great. Less vibration, noise and temperature differences.

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
I did this to an extended cab '88 Mazda B2500 back in the early 90's.The fiberglass shell had wood supports made into the roof and sides.I think there was an upholstery kit offered that used the intergrated wood supports.The truck was a base with heater only.No A/C.

I worked for an upholstery shop at the time.We made insulated snap in liners for the shell.We used that gray speckled colored blanket type automotive insulation on the floors and sides of the bed.Then used cheap black universal automotive rolled carpet to trim it out.It was all glued together, and then velcro'ed into the bed of the truck.The velcro was the marine type with sticky back on the side that was put against the truck bed.The owner found one of those, twist to tighten, style curtain rods,and we made a gray tweed curtain for it that matched his interior.

A while later,the owner put a speaker box at the tailgate and a small van bench seat in the front of the bed, with lap belts.We recovered the seat after the install.It was kind of a neat set up.It sorta reminded me of a stretched two door S10 Blazer from the '80s.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_confused: There is no question that if there is asphalt in the peal and stick product you are going to smell it at some point. Read the label. I found asphalt in all but one "window wrap". I chose not to use it as it was thinner and not as wide. I used the product outside, only on top of the shell between the roof slats I installed for my roof rack. Ya it doesn't look great, but it's hardly noticed on top, and it did kill the huge thump I was getting from the shell.

The smell is deceiving. I couldn't smell it early in the day because it was cool. I threw a piece in the sun and gave it a sniff a couple hours later and it was stinky. It would suck inside. Not a good high, petroleum distillates..........

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I did this to an extended cab '88 Mazda B2500 back in the early 90's.The fiberglass shell h.................................... a small van bench seat in the front of the bed, with lap belts.We recovered the seat after the install.It was kind of a neat set up.It sorta reminded me of a stretched two door S10 Blazer from the '80s.
Cool

The last thing I have to trim is the boot. I was thinking of using a good quality stick-on velcro to hold it in place. I will also likely make a clear curtain/seal thing to isolate the cab for those hot and cold days.
I don't think I would use a bench though considered it. It would have to be a low rider bench to have headroom or a couple of small buckets with quick release mounts.

Last edited:

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I did this to an extended cab '88 Mazda B2500 back in the early 90's.The fiberglass shell had wood supports made into the roof and sides.I think there was an upholstery kit offered that used the intergrated wood supports.The truck was a base with heater only.No A/C.

I worked for an upholstery shop at the time.We made insulated snap in liners for the shell.We used that gray speckled colored blanket type automotive insulation on the floors and sides of the bed.Then used cheap black universal automotive rolled carpet to trim it out.It was all glued together, and then velcro'ed into the bed of the truck.The velcro was the marine type with sticky back on the side that was put against the truck bed.The owner found one of those, twist to tighten, style curtain rods,and we made a gray tweed curtain for it that matched his interior.

A while later,the owner put a speaker box at the tailgate and a small van bench seat in the front of the bed, with lap belts.We recovered the seat after the install.It was kind of a neat set up.It sorta reminded me of a stretched two door S10 Blazer from the '80s.
This is my 3rd custom cut-up Ford, but I started with a Chevy Luv in 1980, my first ride. The second two Ford's, Full size Bronco's. :icon_thumby: I enjoy this and I work out of my truck, so I spend the time in there to justify making it nicer and more workable.

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
Cool

The last thing I have to trim is the boot. I was thinking of using a good quality stick-on velcro to hold it in place. I will also likely make a clear curtain/seal thing to isolate the cab for those hot and cold days.
I don't think I would use a bench though considered it. It would have to be a low rider bench to have headroom or a couple of small buckets with quick release mounts.
This is my 3rd custom cut-up Ford, but I started with a Chevy Luv in 1980, my first ride. The second two Ford's, Full size Bronco's. :icon_thumby: I enjoy this and I work out of my truck, so I spend the time in there to justify making it nicer and more workable.
:icon_thumby:

netcana

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
very interesting idea! thanks for sharing with us.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks

I ordered a "Bed Rug Matt" which will be shipped tomorrow. I ordered it a couple of weeks ago, makes me wonder if they are making them as they are ordered. I am excited to get it because it will be tougher, level-out the bed and be water proof. The carpet I currently have, I glued to cloth insulation material which does not level the bed and would soak-up and hold water. The Bed Rug Matt is more dense than the current rug and should help with sound attenuation more.

A pic of a Bed Rug Matt:

Last edited:

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
In the '80s, and maybe even into the 90s,there was a company that sold bed kits to upholster,carpet,and install a small bench seat close to the tailgate.I think they even had the option of doing an insulated cut out, based off the generic accordion boots.Mini trucks was my thing back then.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Like wow! FedEx is delivering my Bed Rug Matt today! Christmas and my birthday has been spent on a truck again.......................great gifts.

I Like the Bed Rug Matt and will keep it, wish it was a bit denser foam and thicker. It will work, fits well, cushions the knees and does level-up the bed. I also should handle the mess of the outdoors and dry quick. Pics:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals