• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

95 5.0 expo-ranger build thread

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'll be using it to tow a couple different things like a boat, a 5x8 trailer with firewood or 2 atvs, one in the bed and one on the trailer. I'll be towing my boat 4 hrs one way on a fishing trip in June. Boat and trailer weigh approximately 1300lbs. When you say to use the expo trans cooler do you mean to use it only? I have a couple other coolers lying around so I could run two external trans coolers if you think I need them.

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have 3 options as far as an oil pump goes. Stock, high volume, or high pressure. Does it matter which I buy or does these 5.0s prefer one over the other?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Ford oil pumps are good from the start. High pressure would make sure the top end is well lubricated. The explorer external (secondary) cooler is the one that sits in front the core support. Use it with the radiator cooler. On SVT the radiator cooler was not used only cause with the aftermarket cooler didn't allow for the connections to the radiator (AN fittings instead of barbed). Run a secondary cooler, larger aftermarket would be better.
Heat is what kills automatic transmissions, you can never have too much cooling for a transmission...

SVT

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I'll need to get a radiator then. Cause I have a manual radiator for the truck that doesn't have the trans cooler hookups on it.

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Pulled the dash and the steering column out of the X today! Maybe Tuesday evening I can swap those two items out. My plans was to swap the interior wiring harnesses so I could run the center console info center but I think that is gonna be a bit more work than I want right now. Anyone ever do a write up on that kind of swap? The keyless entry module is in the rear of the X so pretty sure wires would need shortened and so on.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Get a radiator from a 4.0 auto with the tow package for your year. It'll be a 2 core radiator...

SVT

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Gonna hit the junk yard this week if I get time and try to find one. Trying to stay on a budget.... If possible [emoji56]

Last edited:

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Small update fellas! Done my dash swap today! I used the X wiring harness..... Got my fingers crossed that it'll work but not sure. It plugged in the same on the driver side and the passenger side with the exception of one plug that had 3 wires going to it on the passenger side which runs back to the factory amp.
I did notice that the ranger had a light blue/white white on the driver side harness that the X did not have. I'm hoping it'll be something small like dome light or something??? I'll find out when she is ready to crank over. I have the dash swap down to about a 30 minute job so no biggie if it doesn't work I guess.
I think 1-2 more good days on it and she'll be running! I'm waiting on my oil filter relocater, oil pan bolt kit and pickup tube gasket to come in then hopefully the engine will come out one last and final time for those items then I'll bolt up the trans and get a measurement for my driveshaft. My wife's grandpa died and I'll be going to the funeral this Saturday so won't be much accomplished this weekend unfortunately.
I'll keep you fellas posted on the progress!

Last edited:

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
BTW if this wiring harness works then I can use the info center with fuel mileage readout and such! I do only have a 16.5 gallon tank vs the X's 20 gallon and i might get a low washer fluid message (rear washer) so I'm sure the distance until empty will be off and maybe some error messages??... Oh well! Small price to pay if it'll work!! That's the big wiring harness hanging out there in the center of the dash down low that goes to the info center. BTW

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Got a little bit more done on the swap today. Been dreading the fuel lines on the engine cause they were so rusty and as I suspected they were a royal pain! I ended up taking a grinder to the male(vehicle side) end of the line and cut a slit all the way around them then took visegrips and twisted and twisted and finally got the 2 lines aparts! Also the body work is finally getting some steam built up!

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well I hit a stump today... 2 stumps actually! First my oil filter relocater had a hairline crack in it so I had to order another one of those. Then I installed my headers and found out that they were put together wrong....??? Cheap Chinese junk! The passenger side was angled in toward the trans at a severe angle and was hitting the spacer plate that goes between the engine and the trans and the diver side flange was hitting the trans pan cause of a slight angle inward that it had so I messaged them about the problem and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I'm contemplating buying a set of headman's. I like the looks of the tri-y's so I'd love to get a set that would work.... We'll see I guess
I did get my oil pan buttoned up at least!

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone know if I can install the tri-y's after I put the engine and trans in the truck?? I'd love to get it set in there and bolted up if I could.

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well I installed the engine and trans into the truck. I'll have to pick the motor up to remove the oil filter relocater when the new one comes in. It looks like if i pull the heater box the headers will be easy enough to install in the truck. Stinks that my headers was junk cause I would have been burning the midnight oil getting this baby fired up!

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Done a little research and found out that the tri-y's are built for the 157 tooth flywheel versions and not the 164 tooth that mine has. Also something about the aod trans. I think all aod's have the 164 tooth or something.
So I ordered a set of 89500 Headman headers. I like the looks of the tri-y's, especially with them being stainless but oh well, I wanna get this rig on the road!
Headed to the junk yard this morning in search of a 2 row 4.0 auto trans radiator and whatever else I could use! I need a bunch of stuff, Interior etc.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
88400's fit better...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals