• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 to 4.0 or to 5.0?

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
So my 3.0 is toast and will have to be replaced. I would love a V8 conversion. The problem is access to one. In the search for my Donor V8, I keep finding really decent Expos with the 4.0. So how much power gain will I get in the 4.0 vs the 5.0.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I wouldn't touch an OHC 4.0 as a swap. It's a more complicated engine than the 3.0 or 5.0, with the cam chains on the back. Tons of trouble with the early engines re timing chain tensioners. Any future timing chain work requires an engine pull. If you're going to do this, go all the way to the 5.0.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I have been driving my 98 5.0 4x4 swap for around six months now. I went from a 4.0. The 5.0 is hands down more fun to drive. I barely have to get on it to get to speed. Usually auto trans is shifting out around 1900 rpms in normal traffic to get me where I am going. I get around 19hwy/18city. I will be purchasing some tmh headers next month for some fuel and power increase. Only problem is getting the tires to bite in the rain. But I manage it. My truck was perfect donor. 98 4x4 torsion suspension, 8.8 3.73 ls rear end automatic :headbang:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Everything has all those chains now. I wouldn't be afraid of it. In fact, it's a simple engine by modern standards--only one camshaft per head and no variable valve train.

A pushrod 4.0 isn't more powerful than the 3.0 you are replacing. It was built as a truck engine with no concession to advertising horsepower numbers. The heads don't breathe and it doesn't like to pull much past 3,500rpm.

The 5.0 is an easy choice and has been done a bunch. Doesn't interest me much.

Not many Cammer 4.0s have been swapped into earlier trucks. I would think at this stage all of the bad SOHC 4.0s with the crumbly chain guides are long gone. I've had one of those engines apart and I really like them. They are basically the same 4.0, but with exotic free-breathing heads. Getting rid of those enormous cam followers not only lets them rev without floating the valvetrain, but getting the pushrods out of the way lets the intake ports take on a nice shape and straight shot. I think the SOHC 4.0 could be built far past the 210-220hp the factory rated them at. Even stock, they are a huge jump over the 155-160hp pushrod 4.0 and give up almost nothing on the bottom end. They already have a great set of heads. I don't see why you couldn't get 300hp out of one.

And there are a billion of them out there as they were built up until 2012. The last 5.0 was built around 2000.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Will, I'd agree with you if there weren't Explorer owners getting on the forums over at EF nearly ever single day posting new cam chain issues. The issues weren't supposedly resolved until 2005, and even the ones produced after that or using the new parts produced after that continue to be plagued with issues.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Drop in a 302 and never look back.

Youre still looking at a diff trans, motor mounts, and electrical going from a 3.0 to a 4.0 (either pushrod or OHC), the 5.0L has more power outta the box, and way more aftermarket when you get bored with it in stock tune.

If dead nuts reliabilty is youre goal, go with another 3.0.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
the problem with 5.o swap is availability. A couple of T-birds with the 5.o are around. How hard would that be. Could I get that engine to work with the wiring harness of an expo, or would I have to use something like "Painless Wiring.Com" or Rock Auto to get an expo wiring harness. I would think the t-bird V8 has a little more hp. but I'm no expert, that's why I'm here.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
IMO, put in fresh or used 3.0l, drive it or sell it

Buy factory 4.0l Ranger, OR already built 5.0l Ranger

There is "no replacement for displacement", so there is no reason to replace a 3.0l with a 4.0l when the work to do the swap is exactly the same for a 5.0l.
Engine, trans, computer and wiring harness, plus exhaust and various bits and pieces that do add up :)

If you "love" your 2001 Ranger then reasoning is out the door, as it should be, love is blind, ignore the above and do the swap you want, but I would lean towards the 5.0l

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The 5.0 is made to fit the explorer engine bay. Ford has done all the fab work for you. The explorer 5.0 has custom brackets and accessory mounts to shorten up the front of the engine. The ranger has the same engine bay. Thus the ease of fitment.I bought a torsion bar expo and everything dropped in with very minimal issues in my torsion ranger. F-150s, mustangs, thunderbirds are more work because they are longer in the front. The oil pan, power steering cooler, all need to be addressed. I only had to swap the driver side motor mount when I installed my package along with radiator and couple of minor wiring issues(and I mean minor). You would really feel the difference going from 3.0 to 5.0. Your truck has type E pats which can be programmed out of the pcm with a tuner. All 99-01 expos are type b pats.

Here is a link to my build thread.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174669

Also listen to Fastpakr's advice. He is currently doing a 5.0 swap. I do not know if he has updated his thread.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I can't remember - do I even have a swap thread?

In any case, mine is all but finished. Got the collector bolted to the manifolds on Tuesday. It's all little stuff like putting in the radiator and hoses, trans crossmember, etc at this point. The good news is that I have the weekend free to get the work done. The bad is that the weather looks like near constant rain and it's in the driveway. With a little luck I'll get it thrown together, but no guarantees.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

In any case, mine is all but finished. Got the collector bolted to the manifolds on Tuesday. It's all little stuff like putting in the radiator and hoses, trans crossmember, etc at this point. The good news is that I have the weekend free to get the work done. The bad is that the weather looks like near constant rain and it's in the driveway. With a little luck I'll get it thrown together, but no guarantees.
I could not remember if you did or not. Plus I was to lazy to search for it :D
We have a friggin tropical storm heading our way this weekend. 5-8" of rain explected. Plus we have already gotten 3 inches this week just because that's normal.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
IMO, put in fresh or used 3.0l, drive it or sell it

Buy factory 4.0l Ranger, OR already built 5.0l Ranger

There is "no replacement for displacement", so there is no reason to replace a 3.0l with a 4.0l when the work to do the swap is exactly the same for a 5.0l.
Engine, trans, computer and wiring harness, plus exhaust and various bits and pieces that do add up :)

If you "love" your 2001 Ranger then reasoning is out the door, as it should be, love is blind, ignore the above and do the swap you want, but I would lean towards the 5.0l
IMO you about have to "love" your truck to V8 swap it, chances are the only people that will buy will buy it for a good running 302. Gotta do it for you.

If it is supposed to rain and you have an open weekend... you could use that time to bring us up to speed on your swap. :icon_idea:

I could not remember if you did or not. Plus I was to lazy to search for it :D
We have a friggin tropical storm heading our way this weekend. 5-8" of rain explected. Plus we have already gotten 3 inches this week just because that's normal.
A little rain would be nice, it has been really dry here. Had big storm chances all week until we got done planting soybeans... then they took it all out. :annoyed:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
If the rain is as bad as predicted, I'm probably going to take time to finish up my three year olds motorcycle among other things. He's really excited about it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
yeah Rain.
I saw both expos you posted the link to fastpakr. I thought they were the same one at first. very similar. different locations tho. I guess I need to be more patient. I'm waiting for it to fall in my yard I guess. ok. Expo / Mounty 5.0 it is:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals