• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flywheel pins-1993 2.3l Ranger

Floktndr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I need to have my flywheel resurfaced. Will the little pins in the flywheel that locate the pressure plate come out with vice grips or is there a more sophisticated way to do that?

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The machine shop will usually have the tool needed to remove the dowels. Otherwise best way to get them out. Is if you have access from the back. Just drive them out with a punch and a hammer.

If I may make a suggestion. A new flywheel from rock auto is really inexpensive. Almost the same price as a resurface depending on what machine shop you use. Just food for thought

Floktndr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I will check.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
When I ordered my flywheel it did not include new dowel pins; not sure if that's normal or not. It does make them easier to remove when you don't have to worry about wrecking the flywheel. I ended up drilling holes in the backside to drive them out. A vice grips wouldn't do it.

Floktndr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, after looking at the parts lists last nite and tonite, I came to that same conclusion.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
When I had a flywheel resurfaced, the machine shop remove the locating pins, and returned them 'loose' if memory is correct. I then just placed them, and drove them into their abode with a hammer. Seems to have worked. Only one concern with replacements is their source and quality, so I guess that's two concerns.
If you do replace with new, be sure to clean the surface of any 'preservative' coating that may have been applied. I'd use brake cleaner along with a lint-free towel/rag, etc. Also, be sure to keep the clutch disk friction material free of greasy thumbprints. A few likely will not hurt overall, but you don't want to get oil/grease/contaminant on the friction material, or you'll be back under there again.
tom

Floktndr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reminder about cleaning the new flywheel, I have ordered one, and unless it had a bunch of obvious preservative on it I wouldn't have cleaned it. I do know to keep my grubby meat hooks off the disc though.
As was suggested earlier, I am going to drill the old flywheel and salvage the pins.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Just call up fastenall and use a mircometer to check the old pin diameter if you can and order new ones also to keep feom having to really drive the new pins you can toss em in the deep freeze for a couple hours they shrink just enough to drop in.

Sent while eating tacos

Floktndr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I wimped out and took the old flywheel to a machinist rather than drill it. No charge, we have done business several times through the years, he will catch me next time i have something done.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals