• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ok let me try this again

John H

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
01 4x4 ranger..does it have a replaceable proportioning valve?
I know its supposed to be 80% pressure to front brakes and 20% to the rear, my rears feel like they are getting the 80% and my fronts are getting 20%. Is it possible that something is reversed in my system or is something else wrong? with the rears disengaged the pedal has more travel, and the fronts have a hard time stopping the truck. with the rears hooked up I barely touch the pedal and I stop easy, If I get aggressive on the pedal the rears will lock up or try too. Also I go through rear brakes more frequently than front pads

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Sounds more like a matter of possible Master Cylinder is on the way out or adjustments need to be made.

The rear brakes on older models could be adjusted up to the point where they engage faster than they should and I've done this myself a few times.

Other than that...is everything new as in front rotors and pads and rear drums and shoes?

If it is all new and recently installed/adjusted, I would try to back the rear brakes off a few notches

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
drums could also be out of round

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
IIRC by 01 they had dropped the proportioning valve and the ABS module handled that function.

What do you mean by "with the rears disengaged"? Only way I am aware of to disengage the rears is by opening the system. If you did that you probably need to bleed the entire system which is made more difficult by the ABS module. Even if you didn't open the system, you may be due for some new hoses and bleeding the system. Both are needed as the system ages and it's 16 years old at this point.

John H

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The adjusters are on the wrong side so they weren't opening, they were turned all the way in. The shoes weren't touching the drums when I'd press the pedal, that's why I say they were disabled. The fronts were doing all the work but they didn't seem to be stopping very well, lords of pedal travel and hardly no stopping power

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The adjusters are on the wrong side so they weren't opening, they were turned all the way in. The shoes weren't touching the drums when I'd press the pedal
This is your entire problem.

Brake proportioning is less about sending hydraulic pressure/braking power to a given wheel than it is about keeping the vehicle going in a straight line when the brakes are applied. If the front axle were to engage right away when you hit the pedal the rear would get squirrley.

Remember the time when you were a kid and you wore out the rear brakes on your bike, so you slammed the fronts at the bottom of that hill and flipped your ass end over end off the bike, hit the bridge with your face and landed in the creek? No? That was just me? Ok, anyway, that's what happens to a car when you engage the front brakes full force first. The front tries to stop, the rear wants to keep going, and bad things happen.

If you engage the rear brakes first then the fronts the rear starts slowing down first as the front continues to try and pull away and you get a straight line. You've never seen a dog's leash crumple up while the owner was standing still and the dog pulling it have you?

So in a brake system there is a valve some where, sometimes it is in-line, but more commonly it is part of the master cylinder or ABS unit, that basically bypasses or at least tones down the circuit for the front brakes until the rear starts to build pressure. Then it allows the front to pressure up and engage the front brakes If your shoes are adjusted the whole way in then they will never push on the drums enough to create the kind of feedback needed, and your front brakes won't work at their potential because they aren't given as much pressure as they should get. And since you are pushing out on the wheel cylinder pistons really far trying to make that contact you get a ton of pedal travel because you have to go farther with the piston in the master cylinder to go farther with the pistons in the wheel cylinders.

If you want to accurately see what your front brakes are delivering by themselves you pretty much have to find a piece to plug off the brake lines so that the rear circuit can build that pressure without moving the shoes. You will see that they are working. You might also see your truck spin a few times.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals