• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How can I find out more about this car?

DLC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking for Ranger (second gen, 2005-2011). This is one of the biggest purchases in my life, so I need to make sure everything is fine and different issues won't appear when I start using it. Do you know where I can search for the info?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking for Ranger (second gen, 2005-2011). This is one of the biggest purchases in my life, so I need to make sure everything is fine and different issues won't appear when I start using it. Do you know where I can search for the info?
Ranger? Never heard of it. ?

Your question is pretty vague. It might be easier for you to find out what's available to you and then ask questions about particular trucks. Are you looking for 2wd or 4x4? Do you want a particular engine size? Will you be towing anything? Do you want a project truck? Do you want to lift it or lower it? Etc.

Eric B

AzLizard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
welcome to TRS.
try google:icon_thumby:

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
While I don't think there is a section on common Ranger problems, there is a lot of information in the Tech Articles.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, Welcome to TRS :)

Ranger generations:
1983 to 1992 1st Generation, 1989-1992 had slight body change, so can be 1.5 Gen
1993 to 1997 is 2nd generation
1998 to 2012 is 3rd generation

Yes, 2001 to 2004 4.0l SOHC engines could have timing chain issues
2001 to 2003 2.3l engines had thermostat and Intake Runner issues

2005 and up are pretty safe bets
The 3.0l Vulcan engine didn't have a lot of power, so if MPG is your goal then the 4 cylinder 2.3l Duratec Ranger is what you want, wasn't available in 4WD models
If you want power then skip the 3.0l and get the 4.0l SOHC Ranger

As always with ANY used vehicle, get an inspection, Ford dealers have a good used vehicle inspection and not too expensive.
If seller says NO, to an inspection, then walk away, you dodged a bullet
And look for lots of options, they are free on a used car, lol.

Last edited:

JustinD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone,

I know a great car history checkers such as:
autocheck.com
trustvin.com
instavin.com
carfax.com
clearvin.com
You can find VIN decoding information and buy a report there.
Good luck with purchase :icon_thumby:

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, that didn't work. Let's try something else!
Keep in mind, nobody but the owner of the vehicle will have all of that sort of information. You can get a CarFax report, but that will only show accidents that the owner has reported. Take my 99 dodge Ram for example. I got a CarFax when I bought it. Since then, it's been rear-ended and had a minor scrape on the front corner. Neither of which I turned in to insurance. So as far as CarFax knows, my truck is still accident free.

Also, CarFax isn't going to know if the owner did regular oil changes or likes to take off like he's drag racing from every light.

The best thing to do is to get a mechanic you can trust to check them out for you. Or better yet, start learning what to look for yourself! Knowledge is power. Be willing to crawl all over a truck before buying it. Be smart and look for leaks AFTER test driving it. I don't buy used vehicles if they've been obviously cleaned before I got there. I want to see what it normally looks like, not all polished and deep cleaned. Makes me think they're hiding things.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You can learn a lot about a vehicle just by looking underneath it. You can spot leaks, rust, future issues or see if things have already been repaired. I've learned over the years that just by looking at the bottom side of a vehicle you can pretty much tell what type of owner they were, especially living in ohio where rust is common on anything with some years. for rangers the obvious things to check for would be leaf spring hangers, gas tank straps, check for rusty frames, like REALLY rusty frames, they are notorious for breaking in front of the front leaf spring bracket, check fluids and just ask the owner questions like how often they drive it, regular maintenance? and you can normally tell their driving habits by looking at them. 18-20 yr old male probably hot rods it and abuses it, 20-30, slight hot rodding but normally has to pay for what breaks so repairs get pushes off till the bitter end, and 30+ probably good drivers who don't drive like Mario Andretti and can afford to fix things when they break or before they break. Just my opinion as a 29 yr old male.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals