• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rotor size confusion

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Make it fast, Make it loud.
so 97 explorer rear rotors are 11.2 inches
but duad pistion 97 ranger front rotors are 10.2 ish
and 91 ranger front rotors are 10.8

so people run bigger brakes in the rear?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think the vehicles you are looking at are too different.

97 Explorer is 11.26" front rotors, and 11.22 rear rotors. Dual piston front, Single piston rear. SLA suspension

97 Ranger is 10.28" Front rotor (or 10.85" for 4wd), and 9" or 10" drum rear. Dual piston front. I beam suspension

91 Ranger is 10.28" Front rotor (or 10.85" for 4wd), and 9" or 10" drum rear. Single piston front. I beam suspension

Yes, people with a 97 and earlier (maybe even later) Ranger that do an explorer axle swap run bigger brakes in the rear. That said due to the dual pistons and/or brake proportioning valve it is not that much of an issue.

Hope that gave a little more clarity, if not please give more details about what you are asking.

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
well i understand that much but it seems bizarre but oh well with luck ill be running 13" cobras up front

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well from the factory they do not run larger in the rear. It's just us arm chair engineers that think we can do it better that make it that way. We're lucky enough that the system is designed with enough flexibility that it works, and we still get an upgrade.

I get what you are saying about it being odd, but it works. In many cases they will be hidden behind and not visible through the wheels, so I think the "who cares" attitude comes into play. I also think a lot start out planning to upgrade the front like you are doing, though maybe not quite as large.

If you can't swing the Cobra fronts, the sport trac upgrade is pretty good as well.

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Yeah I have my explorer axle already no one makes the swap brackets anymore so I'm gonna figure them out on my own :D I'm thinking about selling them for much less then the last guy was maybe $150-200 depending on how much work goes into it

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Should you opt to go the cheaper Sport Trac rotor route, there is a how-to in the tech articles section with details on making brackets.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's a truck for gosh sake; bigger rear brakes make sense if you are using for work; not just transportation. :)

If you fill your Ranger up to GVWR - ~5k lbs for 4x4 SuperCab; and are towing the largest permitted trailer - ~4.5k lbs, you can effectively use a lot of rear brakes. And Explorer's ratings are even higher...

So, Explorer's rear discs have ~3X the power of Mustang Cobra discs... (Which kind of makes sense - Mustang weight is biased forward under heavy braking).

Also note: While the Explorer Sport Trac doesn't have the large diameter rotors of the Mustangs; because it has much large piston calipers, it has more stopping force than even the current Shelby Mustang setup (and allows smaller diameter rims).

Explorer setup might not look as cool; but stops you better.

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Good insight, I'll keep it in mine definitely.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Sorry to drag up an old thread but it seems like a good place to have any additional info on this.

I was just looking through RockAuto, gathering parts for my 97 front beam swap on my 87 Ranger, and I noticed they list front rotors for 95-97 Rangers and on some of them the outside diameter is 11.28"

From RockAuto:

"MOTORCRAFT BRRF64 {#4L5Z1102BA} Rotor & Hub Info
Front; RWD; 4-Wheel ABS (ABS Sensors on all 4 Wheels); OE Design; 11.28 In. Diameter"

or

"MOTORCRAFT NBRR69 Rotor & Hub Info
Front; RWD; 4-Wheel ABS (ABS Sensors on all 4 Wheels); High Level Service Design; 11.28 In. Diameter"

Any thoughts on this?

EDIT: just found these kits, and while they look top of the line, they're mucho $$$$: http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/no-title/kits-57/

GB :)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals