• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New front axle: Same brakes?

Dave18

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hi everyone!

I'm working on collecting parts and information to do a 4x4 conversion on my 2002 Mazda B3000 DS (2wd). I have torsion bar suspension already, so I'm planning on salvaging a Dana 35 SLA to use as the front axle (hopefully a 98-00 so I can run manual hubs), but I'm not clear on how the 4x4 spindle/steering knuckle/brake assembly differs from the 4x2 version. I have 4WABS, with disks in the front... Would I have to get a different brake caliper/disk set for the 4x4 steering knuckles, or would mine be able to bolt on to them?

Thanks in advance for the advice!!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The rotors cannot be reused. During the years in question the 2wd would have an actual spindle with adjustable wheel bearings. The rotor forms the wheel hub and contains the studs as it did on all of them during the TTB years.

During the same years the 4x4 would have bolt on hub and bearing assembly that bolts to the steering knuckle (not truly a spindle, the "spindle" is the narrow piece the bearings ride on that is all "spindly"), and the rotor just hangs on the wheel studs and becomes sandwiched between the hub and the wheel when the wheel is fastened down.

As for the calipers and brackets and such, when in doubt I just go to a parts store website like Napaonline.com and look up the parts I am curious about for both vehicles in question, then compare the part numbers. If they are the same you are good to go, if they are different you are probably gonna have issues.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dave18:

There were some MAJOR errors in my original write up. :sorrysign:

The good news, in answer to your original question: Yes, the brakes calipers are identical between Edge and 4WD.

The bad news: More research as lead to discovery that someone had already swapped knuckles on my Edge before I got the truck so rest of comments were incorrect. :pissedoff: Joys of buying an experienced vehicle...

I turn an Edge into a 4WD, you will need, in sort of a staged order:

Transmission with appropriate tail housing for transfer case + transfer case + correct rear drive shaft. You can't just swap tail housings on transmissions; the output shafts have to be changed too.

4WD knuckles (duh) + Hub bearings + 4WD rotors (which are very different from Edge aka 2WD ones). <Opportunity to do ball joints when you remove the 2WD knuckles as you have everything apart...>

There are 4 varieties of 4WD hub bearings: with/without ABS**; for pvh hubs/for live axles.

Note: If you go with pvh hub bearings/manual hubs (to be able to disconnect axle), you are committing to completing the entire front axle/knuckles exercise before truck is mobile again.

Dana 35 SLA axle - for just the differential, any Explorer '96-'00/Ranger '98-'11 works*. The 2wd t-bar Rangers don't have the mounts for the axle factory installed, so you will need to correctly locate and weld them in.

Half shafts - Select correct ones: Only '98-99 Rangers have pvh hubs which will allow you to disconnect the axle, while Explorers and later model Rangers have live axles. So, if you want manual hubs; you need to find are the correct 1/2 shafts.

Front drive shaft.

*correct ratio assumed :)

**I found the ABS hubs were cheaper than the non ABS, so that's what I used on my non-ABS truck; I just cut the wires off as I didn't need them.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals