• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Supertruck Replacement Vehicle

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My sweetheart went up to Kelowna last Friday and bought a 2004 Sport Trac to replace our beloved Supertruck. This machine has 4WD, which should be a bit of a help around here when it snows . . .

Interestingly, she says that it doesn't have the power of my Ranger. My eldest son complains that the throttle response on the Sport Trac is sluggish, compared to what he'd grown accustomed to feeling in the Ranger. It's a little ironic that my 2.3 liter supercharger project -- which my family loved to disparage -- has now become the standard for comparison with this newer machine.

Since no one seems to want my blower, I'm thinking about installing it on the Sport Trac. From what I've read, as long as I have a manifold adapter and a few other items, it should be a bolt-on proposition. Intriguing . . .

But the fuel economy of the Sport Trac is even worse than my Ranger, which really wasn't that great. (I'd burn about 11 liters of fuel for every 100 kilometers of travel.) If I install the supercharger on the Sport Trac, that will make matters worse.

Nonetheless, "abnormal aspiration" is an addiction. Once you've experienced boost, you're hooked . . .

VICTORHUGO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 STOCK
Transmission
Automatic
YEP THE BOOST IS ADDICTIVE,MY FIRST CAR WITH TURBO WAS A MITSUBISHI STARION/DODGE CONQUEST,AND BLOWN 2 ENGINES,AND DESTROY 3 TRANNYS LOL,NOW MY WIFE IS IN THE SAME CHANNEL HER DD IS A VOLVO 850 T5,AND I HOPE TO FINISH 2.3T ENGINE FOR PUTTING IN MY CAR FOR USE IN THE COLD MORNINGS ONLY BECAUSE I AM REALLY HAPPY IN MY RIDING YAMAHA ROADSTAR :yahoo::yahoo:

AND I READ ALL YOU PROJECT OF THE 2.3 RANGER WITH S/C PRETTY GOOD,SOMETHING DIFFERENT THAN ALL THE 2.3 T GUYS :icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't have a Sport Trac without a V8 or Boost. I drove a couple and the are heavy and underpowered to me. This at 5,250 in Denver area. I wouldn't want to drive one up into the mountains.

Hows the project going?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I wouldn't have a Sport Trac without a V8 or Boost. I drove a couple and the are heavy and underpowered to me. This at 5,250 in Denver area. I wouldn't want to drive one up into the mountains.

Hows the project going?
Agreed. If I ever have to replace my Ranger I am buying another project because I like the look and solid rear axle of the 1st gen ST much better, but I want a 4.6 3-valve in it.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

Hows the project going?
I agree about the lack of power. However, I took the truck up into the mountains with my eldest son a couple of weeks ago, and we had no trouble climbing. (Coming DOWN was a bit scary, though!) In fact, the short wheel base made it easier for us to cross certain obstacles where the full-sized Ram, F-150 and Sierra trucks struggled to avoid getting stuck.

Putting my blower on the Sport Trac is going to have to wait, for now. I also picked up a pair of Doug Thorley headers for $130.00 over Christmas (yes, brand new, with warranty for that price!) and those will be installed first.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
AND I READ ALL YOU PROJECT OF THE 2.3 RANGER WITH S/C PRETTY GOOD,SOMETHING DIFFERENT THAN ALL THE 2.3 T GUYS :icon_thumby::icon_thumby:
I was certainly blazing trails with that one! I learned a lot and probably spent too much money. But I don't know anyone else who can say, "Yeah, I put a blower on a 2.3 liter Ford Ranger . . ." It was a unique accomplishment.

:)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals