• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

a/c system

Madland

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Well I just purchased a 97 ranger for work. I'm in the process of buying a new a/c compressor for it and noticed that the box where the evaporator goes the tubing line exit ports were sealed. so I got to looking and the a/c system is non existant. Did some rangers not come with a/c? I talked to a buddy of mine and he said it was common not to have a/c since it was a special order and added to the price of the truck. Is this true?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A/C was an option not a standard feature.

Power windows and door locks were also options, although like A/C most came with them than without.
You found a without.

Madland

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the fast response Ron. Do you know if they came pre wired for a/c ?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would say yes, but don't know for sure.
A/C electrically is just a one wire add for the most part so why have two separate harnesses for that.

When you turn the Dash knob to A/C(or Defrost), 12volts was sent thru the two pressure switches on the A/C lines and then thru the WOT relay to the Compressor to lock the clutch.

A/C was wired to the computer as well, computer got that 12volts as well, so it could bump up idle when on, and turn off A/C, for more power, when engine was under load, wide open throttle(WOT) Relay.

Engine bay wiring may need to be added, 2 pressure switch connections then to Engine Fuse Box, WOT relay would be in there, and then wire from there to compressor, compressor is usually grounded locally.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals