• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 4.0 5-speed battery problem after clutch replacement

blackhawk2k7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have the truck as said in the title, with Off-road package. It's my DD, so I need to fix it fast. Just after doing the clutch/slave/pressure plate on it I am having trouble with my battery/starting. All yesterday (day after fixing it) I had zero problems starting it, however this morning it did the 'slow turnover to nothing' and didn't start. Had to bump start it, then again twice more I'd turn it over and these times it would repetitively click as if the solenoid wasn't getting enough charge.

Then just a little bit ago, after bump-starting it (again...) and parking it, I immediately tried turning it on again and all I heard was the clicks. WTH is going on? How is it draining so damned quickly? I have to get my battery tester new batteries (coincidental) before I start troubleshooting, but the truck battery was replaced less than 1.5 years ago. No problems electrically till now. I need a suggestion to a starting point.

Thanks so much!

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Does it start properly on a freshly charged battery?

Do you have a multi-meter, and can you measure the current draw with the truck turned off?

blackhawk2k7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Does it start properly on a freshly charged battery?

Do you have a multi-meter, and can you measure the current draw with the truck turned off?
Just started having this problem this morning, no charger. However like I said I had it running, turned it off, then all I got was the 'dead battery clicks' after immediately trying to turn it over again. Need to get some fresh batteries in my multimeter to check it. But when it wouldn't start at work on flat ground, my coworker was able to jump me and I started fine.

Tictac1994

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Just started having this problem this morning, no charger. However like I said I had it running, turned it off, then all I got was the 'dead battery clicks' after immediately trying to turn it over again. Need to get some fresh batteries in my multimeter to check it. But when it wouldn't start at work on flat ground, my coworker was able to jump me and I started fine.
Sounds like same things i delt with on my foxbody. On mine it was a loose negative conmection on the battery. Male sure the connectors are shiney on the parts that touch the battery, if the is some space when on the posts stick in a soda popper...the thing that cracks open the can. Fold it from the side and on top of the posts. Other then that just check your connections, there could be a loose ground

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Disconnect the battery, both cables.

Test battery voltage with cables removed.

Black and Red cables used to ID positive and negative, no more, lol.

Make sure they are as they should be, positive battery post to starter motor, it can work in reverse just not very well.

Positive ground cars worked fine, except for the shock you would get grabbing the door handle to get in, lol, serves them right for standing in water or being barefoot :)

After hooking battery back up check voltage again, a little lower is OK, radio and keyless entry pull a bit.

Bump start or start engine.
Battery voltage should now be above 14volts but below 15volts, alternator is working.

If voltage reads the same as before starting, or lower, then you have a blown alternator fuse, turn engine off, you are just running down the battery more.

Turn key on again, do you see the Battery Light on the dash on, if not that's the fuse that blew, it is a 7.5amp fuse in cab fuse box, fuse #15 on '98, not sure on '99.

If Battery Light is on then Alt Fuse is blown in engine fuse box, 30amp

There is also a MEGA fuse(175amp) usually on the outside of the engine fuse box, unlikely to blow this one but easy enough to test it.
On the back of the alternator is the B+ post, has a nut that holds larger wire, that wire is connected directly to the battery positive thru the MEGA fuse, put voltage meter Black on battery negative, Red on B+ terminal, should read same battery voltage you had testing battery, if not then fuse could be blown

Was the battery disconnected before removing the starter motor for the clutch work?
If not that may have caused the issue.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals