• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger dies when Starting

MorganMcCann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a '99 Ranger ('99 3.0L 4X4 Off-Road Package). Occasionally it will not start, but has been happening more frequently. When you go to start the truck, I will turn the key and the starter will start to engage (for a fraction of a second, enough to make noise) then everything will go dead. Radio, door chime, cb radio, cigar lighter, and dome lights. Nothing works. The CB radio is wired directly to the battery also. Usually to get it running again I will go pull on the negative wire of the battery and with in moments everything is functioning as it should. The battery is a newer duralast gold series, and the alternator is a new duralast gold. However, the starter has not been changed since I got the vehicle.

Do any of you have any ideas? If a wire was going bad, why would it stop working when nothing was moved, and I have also never had electrical problems when the truck is running. Could the starter have an internal problem?
Thanks!

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
You can try to remove the cables and clean the battery posts and cable terminals. If it comes back replace that negative cable. They usually fail because battery acid creeps into them and causes excessive internal resistance from corrosion.

I would probably just replace the negative cable and be done with it.

Willcastle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If all you mess with is the neg cable and it's ok your problem is def in your cable wether it's on the cable ground side or your battery post side.

MorganMcCann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If all you mess with is the neg cable and it's ok your problem is def in your cable wether it's on the cable ground side or your battery post side.
I just put new a new terminal on the positive side, and the negative side had a new one about 30k miles ago. I suppose I could change that one again.

Willcastle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Take the terminals loose I assume the new ones are the type with the two bolts and the wires go in the middle take them loose and clean up the wire see if it has any corrosion on it

MorganMcCann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
When I put the positive terminal on, there was a bit but I cleaned it up. I will take a look at the negative side when I get a chance to.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
May want to check your grounds as well.

Lexx87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check the ground that goes from your battery to your block, just dealt with this with mine 2 months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

txgocartB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You will probably find that your cable is bad not only the terminal.

Ray

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And every cable/wire has 2 ends.................just because it is hard to reach doesn't mean it is OK, lol.

But definitely disconnect battery cables at the battery before cleaning the other ends :)

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
Check the ground that goes from your battery to your block, just dealt with this with mine 2 months ago.

I agree, I had the same issue with my 93. I was under the hood one day and tugged on the ground wire to the block and ripped it out of the copper end that the bolt goes through. Replaced the end and haven't had a problem in two years.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I love these kind of jobs. Easy to fix for short money sometimes just needs to be cleaned and tightened. The cables on the Rat broke when I took them off the starter. Later the 10 awg wire from fender mounted solenoid (relay) shorted against frame. I mis diagnosed as a dead starter. The cable was shorted and smoking when I put it to the battery. Easy fix with stuff on hand . A 25 yr old Ford's wiring is brittle and often frayed. You must be very careful with it. I replaced the entire cable , with one I made with a crimp tool and some MTW wire from my mux building. days. :D

MorganMcCann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
How hard is it to swap out the entire negative cable? Could it be something to do with the starter also? It just confuses me that the starter will engage (just barley, but it will) and then die. Without touching the cable at all

Last edited:

Lexx87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
How hard is it to swap out the entire negative cable? Could it be something to do with the starter also? It just confuses me that the starter will engage (just barley, but it will) and then die. Without touching the cable at all

No, the ground goes directly from the battery to the passenger side of the block. 1 bolt. Super easy. Make sure to clean where your ground goes to. Your starter could be taking a shit on ya, but i would check your grounds first. Start simple then move on to the more advanced problems.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Others have mentioned recently dealing with the same issue on the negative cable...I include myself in this group and my solution was to change the entire negative cable from the battery to the starter as well as the smaller wire that goes from the battery to the relay (aka solenoid)...

Depending on the engine...my 2.3 has a rather convoluted wire routing but that includes the passenger side block connection. and the relay...but after changing the whole mess I can now count on the starter engaging when the key is turned...no more cutting out and power loss.

I will also say that my issue was a bit confusing because I was working on other wiring when it happened...I was mangling the wiper motor wires and the next thing I know I've got a starter issue...so I thought it was my wiper motor circuit...it wasn't.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals