• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

transfer case no shift,,, HELP!!!

tw744

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
new shift motor and new module, switches test good and motor test good mod does self test when i activate switches i get a brief 12 volts at shift motor lead then nothing mod "clicks" have tested with two different mod works on friends truck shift motor runs well when fed direct 12v shift motor locator leads are good
Ground issue or is there something I am missing?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did you go thru the tests here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4wd_control_module.html

Do you have a manual or automatic trans?

The shift module is there to change polarity of voltage going to DC shift motor, if you set polarity as +/- then a DC motor will rotate clockwise, if you reverse it to -/+ then motor will turn Counter clockwise.
So the module needs 12volt and a good ground, if ground is missing then you will see 12volts at shift motor but with no ground motor can't turn either way.
The motor is not grounded locally, at the transfer case, because then module couldn't control direction of rotation.

Another thing the module checks is "what is the transfer cases current position" all those other wires on the round flat part of shift motor housing.
Those wires "read" a wheel inside the housing, if in 2WD then 2 of those wires will be connected and the others disconnected, when 4WD high is selected then module knows to turn motor counter clock wise until the two 4WD high wires show connected and the other disconnected.
The connection of these wires also runs the 4WD lights on the dash, when you select 4WD high the light won't come on until the 4WD high position is set by the wires being connected.

This thread shows the shift motor parts and the "contact wheel" that connects and disconnects those wires: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1102904

The module has to "know where it is" before it will shift, send power, to the motor.

Last edited:

tw744

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes i have ran all the test up to the point where you check to see if the mod is supplying voltage to the shift motor , then i get a temp reading of 12 v-a click from the mod then nothing. no blown fuse just no voltage retest system all ok up to voltage to motor test then spike, click, noda,
I have two motors and to mods both work on my friends truck got to be a loose ground or floating power supply not sure where to look .

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Then something in the wiring, my guess would be module to motor, is telling module it isn't "safe" to move the motor, so it cuts power.

Since you can't move the motor to each position, 2 high, 4 high and 4 low, I would OHM each wire using a longer jumper wire from transfer case connector to module connector, and test other wires at the same time for short to wire being tested

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals