• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cleaned Throttle body and MAF-Now sounds like a horn instrument!

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Okay, basics:

1995 Explorer Sport 4.0 Manual 5 speed 4wd. Should be bone stock.

Putting all the work done to get this thing on the road aside.

New issue:

Trying to figure out why this engine is such a dog. Idle rough, sluggish to accel, and lacks power at higher speed. Pulled the EEC-4 tester out of mothballs. Code 11. KOEO. Did the test KOER and it spit out afterwards code: 172. (Code 172 is O2 sensor voltage signal lean on Bank 1)

Suggested was the usual. Clean throttle body, MAF. Check for vacuum leaks, etc..

So I got the CRC twin pack of MAF cleaner and the throttle body cleaner. Pretty narly. I also sprayed down the IAC, sense we had roaming idle and very rough.

Redid the test, and it coughed up 172 two more times. I ran it again for the 3rd time and the system coughed up 111. So I'm fairly sure we have a lazy O2 sensor. Not bad enough to trip the CEL yet...

Anyrate:

Engine restarted after I sealed everything up with the air intake system. (really nasty white dusty build up on the throttle body...but it cleaned up okay)

So here's the fun part. Engine started back up hard, as expected with all the spray cleaner in the intake. When it settled down? It had what could only be described as a Clarinet playing a constant mid range tone. I could feel the frequency throughout the entire air intake system. It did settle down a bit when I loosened up the air hose at the throttle body to see if I could get it to stop. Seems letting in a bit of pirated air disrupts things enough to silence the horn section.

I drove it around a bit tonight to see if there was any drive ability issues related to that sound/tone. Doesn't seem to be. The idle has a mild improvement, but nothing to write home about.

The tone is pretty nerve rattling when it's in full force. Wondering if anyone has had the "Singing 4.0 OHV blues" in the past, and what might be the cure.

S-

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Unplug the iac and if does not die see if the noise goes away.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Drove it around for a bit today and it was back to normal. Doggy power....but back to it's usual sluggish self.

But I've got a sweet issue that will be on it's own post....Further down the rabbit hole...

S-

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals