• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wiring question

GingerKid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just rewired my ranger for a 7 pin harness, and now everything works except the the running lights. I had thought that the running lights were with the same wire as the tail lights but at a lower voltage, maybe the 7 pin is different? The auxiliary wire is for auxiliary power and not auxiliary lighting right? Any ideas on what I did wrong?

GingerKid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looks like I'm going to answer my own question here. I mis-interpreted the diagram that came with my 7 pin wiring plug. The top left pin was marked taillights, which I assumed to mean brake lights. I found another diagram that labels this pin as the one for the running lights. I'll rewire it and see how it goes. I'll post the diagram if anyone needs it

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Tail lights are the ones that come on with the parks and headlights, brake lights come on with the brakes.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, you answered your own question.

That picture you posted--the terminology isn't very good. On our site, in the tech library, we have a complete explanation with better diagrams. Like this (truck side):

The center wire can be anything you want. An intercom for states that allow passengers in a trailer, for instance. I've not seen a trailer with backup lights. Taillights and running lights are the same circuit, naturally. The 12V is for charging the trailer battery.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have a trailer with backup lights. They don't help, but they are there.

GingerKid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I had limited success. I wired the correct wire to the correct pin, and now I have running lights, but they're too bright. Like brake light bright, instead of the lower power they're supposed to be. Hitting the brakes give no change either. Any ideas? Did I get the wrong wire again somehow?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you use a tap to connect to your truck or did you try to splice into the harness? It could be that your truck requires a converter because the turn signal and braks use different filaments or bulbs. The brake and tail lights have the same voltage--it's the bulbs that make one brighter than the other.

It appears you do need a converter as this is the tap listed for your truck:

Once that is plugged into the harness under the tailgate, you use this to adapt it to the 7-pin RV plug:

GingerKid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I guess that would be my problem then. I have the part that plugs into the harness, but there isn't a converter on there, just the wires coming out. I had to use a multimeter to figure out which wire was for what. I'll make a trip out later today and grab those two bits, thanks for the help.

GingerKid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I got the parts installed, and everything seems to work fine so far. The running lights are still brighter than I think they should be, but maybe thats just the bulbs in this particular trailer. Thanks for the help

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
FYI, Not all trailer are wired to the standard diagram. Particularly ones with 6 pin blocks and have a specifically made 6 pin block to 7 pin round ambilical. In addition, I have seen some 7 pin rounds that show 12v hot in the middle and revers in the #4 position.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals