• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 2.3L to a 99 3.0L Help wont start

reklesint

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok so this weekend i swapped my 2.3L for a 3.0 got it all hooked up and.........wont start. wont crank but all electic things do. lights, stereo, ect. but no motor movment. I know theres hundreds of things that could be wrong but i need to start checking somewhere. I swapped everything, the motor, tranny, wireing harness, pcu(brain). i no i should of gone with the 4.0 but my 2.3L went kaboom and i needed a motor quick so i got a 3.0 couldnt find any 4.0 in my price range.

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
The first things you need to check are simple: 1Fuel,2Air,3spark. If you have those 3 things, the engine should turn.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Is it not running or is the starter not working?
You sure you got all that hooked up?

Will it turn over if you jump the solenoid?

09ajmaros

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Do you have the right key? The engine won't start without a programed key for the ignition. If you are using the original ignition then I'm not sure.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the PATS system is matched the the PCM. you need the PATS key from the 3.0 truck...but of coarse that key wont fit your ignition, so you'll have to take your key (and have the truck towed) down to a ford dealer so they can re-program your key to match the 3.0 PCMs PATS system.

EDIT, i dont think most (or any?) '97's came with PATS...if thats the case, you'll probably have to install the whole PATS system. theres a chance the '99 doesnt have it either, but most trucks were equipped with it by then...

reklesint

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks 4 the replys ... first of all yes i tried jumping the starter solenoid. and it cranks when i stick a screwdriver to the + and -. about the key thing.. iam using the original ignition from the 97. but if i understood you right the 99 has a PAT? and needs to have the key the pcm recognizes. well i have the whole 99 ranger so could i just take the tumbler and ignition switch out of the 99 and put it in the 97. and would i need to take the PAT out also and install that to? if so where and what is the PAT.. Thank you.

wvcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Correct me if I'm wrong but... I don't think the 97 is wired for pats. I hate to be the bearer of bad new but its not as simple as changing the lock. You will have to pull both dashes, change the wiring harnesses(or complete dash if its the right color) and the steering column(or wiring for the pats pickup on the key cylinder)along with the body computers and anti theft module(above the heater box inside)...hope that makes sense. The other choice would be to convert the 3.0 to an earlier wiring harness and pcm

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
IF the 99 has PATS, then thats your problem. does it have a big fat key, or a normal key?

if its equipped with PATS, the programming is in the PCM. in order to install the PATS into the 97, youd need the reciever (antenna) thats around the ignition tumbler, and all the associated wiring going to the PCM. i have no idea if this ties into the main wiring harness or not or which pins on the PCM harness they lead to.

i dont know if the body control module ties into the PATS system or not. if it does then you have a while other mess of wiring to contend with.

this isnt going to be a fun project.

reklesint

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys. Yes the 99 has a fat key and the 97 is tinny. so i think ill just put the whole 99 dash in. colors match so i think its all good. one more ? what/ where is the body control module? thanks a bunch you saved alot of headaches going from pin to pin and lining everything up

wvcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The body control module is behind the radio and will come out with the dash. The theft module is located on top of the heater box and will be easy to get to once the dash is out.(its a white box)
I have pulled out a bunch of 98 up dashes. Here's the low down on it.

Pull the column out. Pull the 2 covers under the column, 8mm bolts. Unplug all the wires. Unhook the shifter cable if its an automatic. There is also a small cable that moves the gear indicator on the cluster located on the bottom of the column. One 10mm bolt on the steering shaft. and the 4 13mm bolts that hold the column in. Slowly pull it out while checking to make sure you have all the wires unplugged and manuvering the mounts for the automatic shifter cable out.

You will need to go under the hood and remove the fuse box so you can unhook the wiring harness. After its unhooked you will need to push the tabs in on the wire connectors and push them thru to the inside of the firewall. Next pull the drivers kick panel off and find a plug by the emergency brake that plugs into the harness that goes down thru the floor of the cab to the frame and transmission and to the dome light and rear speakers.(I believe there is also a ground there too, green screw) Pull the ps kick panel and unplug the harness on that side. Drop the glove box door down by pushing in on the sides. You will need to unplug the heater blend door motor and vacumn lines. Next pull out the radio bezel and pull the antenna wire out thru the glove box and down on the ps floor. Pop the black plastic cover off up by the windshield taking care not to damage your dash. Pull the floor console out and unplug the the air bag sensor. Near the air bag sensor there is a dash support that has one bolt. The dash itself is held in by 6 13 mm bolts 2 by the drivers door 2 near the windshield above the instument cluster, 1 near the winshield above the ps air bag, and one by the ps door. When you remove the dash you may find a plug behind the drivers side that goes to the drivers door. I may be a little foggy on the details but there are changes between years and I can't remember which years have the different plugs and harnesses but you get the idea. It is also possible you will have to change the floor to trans harness and even the frame harness becuse the plugs may be different. I've never done a 96 dash.
Good luck
John

reklesint

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
you guy rock..... i swapped the dashes out and guess what? IT STARTS!!!! you dont even know how much time and money to just saved me........ you should like start a ranger answer page or somthing.... thanks

wvcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Glad it worked out!!!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
+1 congrats :icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals