• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 2.3 FI giving fits. RUNS RICH intermittently

RangerAnger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1987 Ranger 2.3 FI , mfg 8/86,140K, that is running rich ( BLACK SMOKE)It starts after it reaches warm up- usually 7 or 8 miles driving, sometimes farther the colder the engine and weather is but on recent warm day - 65 degrees-it drove FINE. After that it sucks the gas and starts smoking black,sputtering and jerking. I have to drop it down a gear or two to continue.Mileage has dropped dramatically. AFter driving 40-50 miles ,parking for a few hours it doesn't seem to do it! When I rev it in neutral or with with clutch depressed it clears up momentarily but when you try to maintain speed it reverts right back . ALSO- it will idle rough but then of its own accord it will instantaneously run fine and sometimes do the same while at highway speeds! This condition has progressed somewhat over time.

To date :

Tryed to check O2 sensor BUT IT DOESN'T HAVE ONE. I looked 3 times and mechanic checked it from underneath and said it did NOT have one! NO WIRE running to manifold either so it's not hidden.Not a CA vehicle. WTH?!??

Replaced ECU but did the exact same thing so I reinstalled original( took new ECU back for a refund- WOW !)

Swapped MAP sensor from my 1994 351 Ford E350 and saw an improvement - about a 6 or 7 on a 10 scale but problem still exists

Replaced TFI ( had new one laying around)

Checked timing- OK no help though

Bypassed EGR control - still had same problem

Cap , rotor, wires & plugs replaced - it was due for them anyway- no effect
Installed new coolant temp sensor, the one the ECU monitors . No help there and $13 poorer

Checked vacuum hoses, PCV and replaced suspicious ones- no help

Squirted oil around intake gasket to check for leak- nada!

Checked for codes but got only 52 (power steering press switch) and 67 ( !!!)

Did wiggle test on all sensors and unplugged one at a time - Nothing!

Checked ground- OK

Had a REAL mechanic look at it and he is stumped as are 2 other mechanics in his shop. I bought truck NEW in 1986
and I'm driving it another 22 years so if you can help...PLEASE???

ready to rebuild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
engines usually smoke for an internal reason that old computer wont help.Rings might be an idea but black smoke. is it getting hot(overheating)? sending unit might be bad or oil pump itself

RangerAnger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
oil pressure fine , cylinder pressure fine. Black smoke is FUEL ...oil smoke is blue. Most internal problems would manifest themselves continuously .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals