• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L 4Cyl Issues

DJtheGreat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello,
I currently own a 91 Ford Ranger 2.3L 4Cyl. When I first got the truck it drove great, until I took it on the highway, it began to bog down at about 65 mpg then had no power to accelerate again. I pulled over and when I started driving again it got up to about 65 then did the same thing. I replaced the fuel pump, and it seemed fine for a little, then I replaced the spark plugs (I thought I checked them when I got the truck but obviously not, they were bad) after replacing them the truck ran great, for about 2 weeks, so I checked the plugs again and the back cylinder plug was soaked in oil. I checked compression and I had 140 120 120 90(In the back cylinder, 4?, the one that was soaked) I plan to rering the pistons. Should this solve that issue? Also what can I do to temporarily drive the truck until my dad gets time to help me rering it? Can I just put 2 platinum in the back cylinder?

Also I have a 90/91 Ranger, v6, with a manual tranny. It is stuck in what I believe is 3rd gear. My dad said that he believes that the tranny needs to be rebuild, is there any other possible solution before we go through the task of rebuilding the tranny?

Thank you x 1000000 in advance for any help at all.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, for the first one. try running something like "restore" in the engine. this will help up the compression and should buy you some time. running a platinum in the back wont do anything but empty your wallet. unless you could up the spark energy to that one plug, then its pointless. platinums only last longer. they dont give a hotter spark.

for the v6 w/a manual, if you take the top shifter assembly off, you might be able to free the gears. but you probably should just have a shop look at it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals