• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

coolant consumption/intake manifild? 2000 4.0L

waynetn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi,

I have a question for you. A few months ago, my wife's 2000 Ranger 4X4, 4.0 Vin X, began to consume coolant, and miss at startup. The problem was coolant in the LF and RR cylinders. Never overheated, never pressurized the cooling system. I assumed a leak into the intake port. Fast forward, problem is much worse, misses at idle always, runs great above 1000 RPM. Actually fouled ALL the plugs with coolant a few days ago- cool morning, no start. Cleaned them, drove it two days, basically the same. Misses, collant smell from exhaust now quite pronounced. NO oil contamination.

I pulled the lower intake. The coolant ports are SO FAR away from the intake ports that I have trouble believing that it is the source of the coolant, although the intake valves on the two cylinders it misses on are QUITE washed of carbon, and there is a nice clean swath through the carbon in the intake port. The rearmost bolt at the RR was quite loose.

I called my friend who runs a machine shop and he said the 4.0 heads are bad to crack between the valve springs (isn't that pre-1998?), and told me where to look. I see no cracks. I have read of the exact same symptoms on other forums, but no EXACT fix. I am about to seal the coolant ports with small plates, fill the intake ports with soapy water, use my regulated cooling system pressurizer to put 18 PSI or so on the cooling system, and look for bubbles in the intake ports, unless someone in the know about these rats tells me this is a common failure, and here's the fix.

Last thing- are there coolant passages sealed by the gasket between the fuel rail and the lower intake? It's dark out back, so I haven't taken that apart yet. SOMEHOW coolant is getting into the intake side of this engine, but not directly into the combustion chambers. No pressurization. Do the heads crack ABOVE the valve seats into a coolant passage?

Just for reference, I am a 30+ year veteran ASE Master, Chrysler Master, blah, blah, blah. Just never seen this before, and having trouble believing the vacuum from the port pulls the coolant over to the intake port without getting enough in the oil to show up. See what I mean?

Your response GREATLY appreciated,

Wayne Wright

homeless69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My truck did the same thing right after I bought it. Cracked aluminum heads, both of them, who would of thought brand new right? Well ford ended up putting cast iron heads on. Well a few years after it started again and I have just delt with it. When I start mine up it studders for a few seconds then it cleans up and runs great. You got the same smell of antifreeze from the exhaust as i do. Oil is fine. If I was going to do it myself I would take the heads off get the magnetic dye penetration inspection done which I actually have at work and then you will find the cracks or your pressure test might work too. Just because you cant see the cracks doesnt mean its not there. Funny thing for me is my compression and vacuum tests are exactly where they are supposed to be. Never took the heads off just didnt have the time. Hope you figure it out. Good luck.

Bird

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Homeless - FYI, if your talking about the 2000 Ranger you have in your sig, the 4.0 OHV never had aluminum heads.............................

Bird

homeless69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Guess thats what I get for listening to my service advisor haha. Thanks for the correction Bird.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals