• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Ranger 3.0L SHO swap

BryWink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello, i know that their are plenty of posts on this. but most of them ramble off topic. I found a good deal on a 1993 taurus SHO motor with everything to make it run. It came out of one with a bad transmission 71,000 miles. stored in a heated garage. What all do i need to know about this swap. pilot bushing the same on my m5od 5 speed trans? clutch? flywheel? clutch splines? i know the intake needs to be swapped around to be on the correct side. what about the a/c pump? power steering pump? alternator? will any of these be plug and play or do i need to use everything off my stock 3.0L motor? can i run my stock fuel pump? lastly i know the SHO motor has a much higher redline, what will i need to do to have the stock tach match correctly with the new motor?

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
I don't have specifics but nothing will be plug and play. Pretty sure everything off your stock 3.0 will not fit. The Taurus 3.0 was manufactured by Yamaha and is a completely different motor than any other used by Ford.

fangotango306

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
None yet
Transmission
Automatic
Someone used to sell a bell housing adapter to run a t5 but i cant remember where. There is also some issues with oiling on those when mounted longitudinally instead of transverse. Ive personally know a guy who used one in a sandrail running megasquirt for injection but that only lasted a while before he went to an ls motor.

BryWink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't have specifics but nothing will be plug and play. Pretty sure everything off your stock 3.0 will not fit. The Taurus 3.0 was manufactured by Yamaha and is a completely different motor than any other used by Ford.
Okay, i can modify to make things work like the power steering and a/c pump, wiring i can do with some diagrams, but what about the clutch, i know the trans will swap over fine but is the clutch in any way the same?

BryWink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Someone used to sell a bell housing adapter to run a t5 but i cant remember where. There is also some issues with oiling on those when mounted longitudinally instead of transverse. Ive personally know a guy who used one in a sandrail running megasquirt for injection but that only lasted a while before he went to an ls motor.
i think i will be fine for the most part on the stock trans as long as im not doing a bunch of hard launches, this isnt going to be a race track by no means. what is wrong with the oiling while they are mounted longitudinally? Mounted in this way does this bring the sump into the front? so the oil runs away from the sump? heads dont drain back into the bottom end? the biggest things im really worried about is the clutch setup, and now this oiling issue. really everything else i can make work.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
BryWink:

If you are sticking with the M5OD-R1, you shouldn't have any clutch issues* - the hydraulic Throw-out is integral to the transmission.

*The SHO uses more/less the same clutch disc as the 3.0 Vulcan so you might have to do a little mixing between the 2 setups but it should work.

3.0 bell housing for a T-5 is $800+ touch..

BryWink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
BryWink:

If you are sticking with the M5OD-R1, you shouldn't have any clutch issues* - the hydraulic Throw-out is integral to the transmission.

*The SHO uses more/less the same clutch disc as the 3.0 Vulcan so you might have to do a little mixing between the 2 setups but it should work.

3.0 bell housing for a T-5 is $800+ touch..

Awesome thank you! Yeah the t-5 swap will be future after it gets some boost Put to it. This motor will be going in with all fresh gaskets, new clutch , flywheel, slave cylinder, and master cylinder, that’ll Atleast get it drivable while I save up for box sides, left fender, and a few interior bits. The truck will be also getting an 8.8 rear end with limited slip, to get rid of the stock 7.5” open diff it has. It does have the Dana 38 front differential so not to worried about that being a weak link.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
get on shoforum.com search user "off road sho"

he has a sand buggy with a SHO motor, and knows someone who is putting one in a racing Ranger.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A high reving/low torque motor wouldn't be my 1st choice for an engine swap into a 4x4.
Best gear it low (5.13s?); 7.5 wouldn't be in danger from a SHO motor.

And personally, I would stay with M5OD-R1. M5OD is stronger transmission than T-5 (doesn't shift as nice though), and bolts up to your transfer case. T-5 with transfer case outputs are rare and they need guts replaced to stand up to any significant amount of torque. 4x4 T-5 would be OK, for stock SHO, but not a blown one; and when you swap to Mustang gears, you lose alot of ratio - 4.03 or 3.76 1st to 3.35 or 2.95. M5OD plods along with 3.72:1 1st

BryWink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
get on shoforum.com search user "off road sho"

he has a sand buggy with a SHO motor, and knows someone who is putting one in a racing Ranger.
Awesome thanks, i will check that out.

BryWink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A high reving/low torque motor wouldn't be my 1st choice for an engine swap into a 4x4.
Best gear it low (5.13s?); 7.5 wouldn't be in danger from a SHO motor.

And personally, I would stay with M5OD-R1. M5OD is stronger transmission than T-5 (doesn't shift as nice though), and bolts up to your transfer case. T-5 with transfer case outputs are rare and they need guts replaced to stand up to any significant amount of torque. 4x4 T-5 would be OK, for stock SHO, but not a blown one; and when you swap to Mustang gears, you lose alot of ratio - 4.03 or 3.76 1st to 3.35 or 2.95. M5OD plods along with 3.72:1 1st
yeah i know the 7.5 is weak, we have had mustangs break them a lot, the SHO im deciding on for the amount of work needed for the 302 swap, will be more than im looking into, and i really hate the look of a body lift, i dont want to be able to see between the body and frame, plus figuring a supercharger kit ought to gain a lot of tourque in the future, not to worried about how it shifts, it shifts wicked hard now with the bad slave cylinder and ive gotten used to it. thank you for the response.

fangotango306

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
None yet
Transmission
Automatic
I spoke with our family fried that had the rail and the oiling issue he explained was a drain back issue from the head. It wouldnt return fast enough and pool in the head/valve covers. He aslo told me it was really bad in the dunes climbing a hill at full throttle, but after enlarging the return holes it was mostly remedied. His buggy transaxle places the engine backwards too. May have something to do with it. He had nothing but positives to say about those engines though.

BryWink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I spoke with our family fried that had the rail and the oiling issue he explained was a drain back issue from the head. It wouldnt return fast enough and pool in the head/valve covers. He aslo told me it was really bad in the dunes climbing a hill at full throttle, but after enlarging the return holes it was mostly remedied. His buggy transaxle places the engine backwards too. May have something to do with it. He had nothing but positives to say about those engines though.
So from what it sounds like, is that the front of the motor was to the back of the buggy, bringing the oil mostly to the front of the valve covers and heads, so not entirely postive as to where the drain passages are, but if the passages are in the rear, or towards the flywheel. that i could see causing an issue. so with the flywheel facing the rear of the vehicle, i should only see an issue on descending very steep hills? or because of it being at a low rpm while descending then it shouldnt have am issue?
thanks,
Bryant

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah i know the 7.5 is weak, we have had mustangs break them a lot, the SHO im deciding on for the amount of work needed for the 302 swap, will be more than im looking into, and i really hate the look of a body lift, i dont want to be able to see between the body and frame, plus figuring a supercharger kit ought to gain a lot of tourque in the future, not to worried about how it shifts, it shifts wicked hard now with the bad slave cylinder and ive gotten used to it. thank you for the response.
Honestly the 5.0 swap sounds like less work for what you get out of it to me... :dntknw:

A blower won't add a whole lot of low end torque.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
A positive displacement blower certainly should.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals