• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 wiring harness compatibility

utilitymoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 93 ranger with a 4.0 and a manual transmission, if I were to purchase a engine bay wiring harness from a ranger with a 4.0 would it work? From what I've seen it looks like the 94 has an extra plug(cam sensor I think?) but is otherwise the same, can anyone help out here and clarify?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you use a cam sensor harness you need to add the cam sensor and change your computer to one for sequential injection or it will not run.

On the batch fire systems (no cam sensor) you have two circuits at the computer for firing injectors, each of which services three injectors. On a sequential fire system (has cam sensor) each injector has a dedicated circuit. So putting a sequential fire harness in with a batch fire computer removes the computer's ability to fire four of the six fuel injectors. Unless of course you are ok re-wiring the injector grounds so that it works.

utilitymoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for the answer, looks like I'm more then likely just going to pull my current harness out and try my luck at cleaning it up and fixing any questionable areas since a complete replacement is near impossible to find for cheap. Any tips on pulling the whole bay harness out or should it be pretty straight forward when I start taking it out?

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
I recently pulled my 4.0 from a 1999 manual trans ranger and I found the harness setup to be not too bad to get loose.
There was damage to the connectors on the fuel injectors, maybe brittle from heat/age.
Getting at the wires at the oxygen sensors behind the engine was a pain and the harness exteded down to the trans where there were several connections along with a rear oxygen sensor.

My biggest complaint about the way the harness was attached was the use of several plastic push on clips ( the barbed chrismas tree type) that don't want to release and get mangled if you get them off. They were taped on with something a little better than electrical tape I chose the route of just carefully slicing through the tape that connects the plastic encased wire loom to this hanger. When I reassemble I will use zip ties

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals