• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 ranger 3.0 blown head gasket

ForTheLoveOfMonkeys

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0 FFV
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
You are what you do when it counts
Spurs:

Not sure if you're still reading this but I was doing some thinking (dangerous stuff that).

You found metal when you pulled the oil, have you checked the Camshaft Synchro?

Those things tend to go bad and if this previous owner ran the truck hard and didn't really keep it maintained he may not have ever replaced his Camshaft Synchro and that might be the source of the metal shavings in which case you might be able to get away with just the head gasket repair and a thorough, thorough flushing of the oil system.

Basically any metal in the oil is bad news, but it could be worth checking to see if it was the Synchro.

Spurs234

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It's all just nuts and bolts
Well guys I Would love to do a 5.0 swap but the only problem is that I'm still in high school and don't have much money for a 5.0 build on the truck. As much fun as that sounds I would love to do it but unfortunately I can't. What I do have though is I'm friends with a tow truck guy and he is selling me a 1998 Explorer with a 4.0 in it and it's a manual with a 153000 miles. The motor does make a small ticking noise but it sounds like it could be a cam lifter. I will be buying the Explorer for about 180 bucks. I was gonna mess with it more this weekend but I ended up getting the flu. Thanks for all yalls help let me know what y'all think on the explorer 4.0 motor

blueovals

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
welder: because balls out fire breathing metal bending bad ass mofo isn't an official job title
Does anyone know how to determine which head gasket set i require? According to advance auto pre- July 27 99 uses one head gasket set and after uses a different set. Door jamb says 7/99. And the real kicker is the previous owner says the engine was replaced " by one ordered from ford" but looks like a junkyard motor swap to me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals