• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 with 3.0 locked up,,,

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Starting in 1995, the camshaft synchronizer was added in place of the distributor. This system uses a set of positioning sensors, one on the engines crankshaft and one on the engines camshaft, to determine when to fire the spark plugs. since the oil pump is driven by the camshaft via the distributor on this (and many "V" pushrod engines), Ford could not completely do away with the distributor. The bottom half that engages the camshaft and drives the oil pump would have to remain. Since the bottom half of the distributor would have to remain anyway, the easiest way to retrieve a camshaft position signal would be to mount a sensor right on top of this "cam syncro shaft" (or Camshaft Synchronizer).

So yes your dizyy drives the oil pump and will drop in place of the cam sychro. The cam synchro is at the back of the block on the 95 3.0 which is the same place of your dizzy now. You will not be using the sensors associated with the cam synchro so you can essentially leave the cam and crank sensors in place along with the harmonic balancer.

Ilike55s2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
YES, YES, YES, YES, !!!!!!! I just called the dude and told him I will be up there shortly ,,if not sooner,,to pull thet 3.0,,
Aw man,,I am stoked now,,, Maybe,,my luck has finally turned around,,think I'm gonna enjoy busting out thet 3.0,,,,wish me luck,,I'm outa here,,,!!!!!!
Many thanks,,,

Ilike55s2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK,,I finally get all the wiring, hoses, etc all lashed up on the new 3.0 going into my 92 Ranger,,,,,except one 20 gauge wire (White W/pink) that I cannot remember what it hooked to,,,It is on the same short loom where to oil pressure sending unit is at the back of the engine (pass side),,,?????
Figured I'd give it a shot and engine will crank,,,but no spark at the #4 plug. Disconnected the coil from distributor and no spark at that point either. I tried a known GOOD coil but still no spark,,,!! There is a box on pass inner fender that has a 60 amp fuse marked "ignition" but fuse checks out ok,,,,
OK,,what am I doing wrong,,??

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Start by checking power to the coil. If that checks out make sure you plugged in the TFI. You may also want to take the TFI down to the parts store to get tested.

Ilike55s2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey ADSM08,,many thanks for putting up with this old man and his project Ranger,,,
I'm gonna check out the power to the coil first thing this morning. Yes,, the TFI is hooked to wiring harness.
The one thing that "Might" be causing an issue is there is a small wire (White W pink stripe) that I had to cut cause I could not reach the connector when pullin the old 3.0. This small wire is in same loom that the wire to the oil pressure sending unit is,,? I haven't been able to find the right wiring schematic on line to see where it goes,,could this possibly be the culprit?? wire is just hanging at back of engine,,,
Last night, I looked at removing the TFI off the distributor but,,DANG,,much as I hate to ,,gonna have to remove the distributor and take to O'Reilly's and see if they can test it,

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Test the coil power and ground before removing the TFI.

I know the wire you are speaking of but I can't remember what it is for right now. I feel like it might be important though, because Ford likes to keep wire colors consistent. Years ago I was dealing with a Taurus that would not start (or even crank) intermittently, and then half the time the engine would die when you shifted through reverse. After three days I found a white/pink wire in the driver's wheel well that had rubbed through on a hard conduit where it made a 180* turn. It was the engine rocking and flexing the whole harness, breaking the connection at this point, that was making the engine die.

Ilike55s2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK Folks,,finally got back to the Ranger project. I did find an Excellent article on the net www.troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ford/3.0L-3.8Lhowtotesttheignition-coil-1 if somebody wants to use it.
According to their test procedure,, Looks like the ignition coil is bad.
I get 12.93 volts at the power to coil (red W/green stripe) wire.
I get a flashing light on the switching wire (tanW/yellow stripe) from distributor (TFI) while cranking.
Hook everything back up and NO SPARK at the #4 spark plug wire while cranking.
Remove coil wire and NO SPARK at hi-tension connector of coil while cranking.

I'm still kinda bothered with the one loose wire, white W/pink wire just cannot find WHERE it is supposed to hook up,,,!!!
HELP,,!!!!

Ilike55s2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well,,Chit,,I feel like I'm going backards more than Forward. I went and got a new coil and STILL no fire to spark plugs,,!!!!
At one point,,I did get a flashing light while cranking on the tan W/ yellow wire at the coil. But NO MORE,!! Finally broke down and pulled the distributor thinking the TFI was defective,,,but it don't have a TFI module,,,,it has a "4 pin connector" and the 4 pins are horizontal where the TFI's pins are vertical. Took dizzy to O'Reilly's but they could not test for me and did not have a new one for distributor so back to the yard to pull the dizzy out of the 92 Aerostar I was originally gonna get the engine out of. It did have the same 4 pin connector (don't know what it's called) So, I pull the dizzy and after a good inspection of cam gear and oil pump drive,, I install the dizzy in the Ranger,,reset timing,,,and same friggin thing!! Still no spark from (new) coil.
I check the connector at coil and the big Red W/grn stripe wire has 12 volts to it with key on, but the smaller tan W/yellow wire has no flashing while cranking,,WTH,,,,WTH,,,
What to do now,,??? Anybody got a wiring diagram to see where that loose wire (White W/red stripe) goes to,??
I need some help,,!!!

Last edited:

Ilike55s2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK,,an update on my Project Ranger. I have been working off and on with this trk and it's electrical issues. When I say it was "off and on" ,,that is exactly what it was doing. one test saying it was the coil, another saying it was the TFI, then another saying it was the TIF in distributor and finally another saying it was the ECM,,,,,,,sure glad I still got some of my hair left,,!!
When somebody tells you "check all the grounds",,you better listen. It seems the PO had cut one of the ground wires from a 2 wire connector just under the starter solenoid area and the exposed wire would sometimes touch the body and ground and engine would run for 5-10 seconds and quit. I checked every item from the TIF, Coil, TFI, ECM, fuel pump relay, inertia switch, and fuel pump and injectors,,,,there just wasn't anything else to check,,!! ,,,except them dang grounds,,,,,
I want to give a very much deserved "Shout Out" to ADSM-08 for taking time from his very busy schedule to help this old man and get my trk running again. I have No idea why the PO would of cut that wire, but by him doing so,,I bought at a very good price, what should now be a good project to fix up and drive.
My Thanks to ADSM-08 and all the others that offered their help and support,,,,what a GREAT bunch of Ford Lovers,,,!!!

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
OK,,an update on my Project Ranger. I have been working off and on with this trk and it's electrical issues. When I say it was "off and on" ,,that is exactly what it was doing. one test saying it was the coil, another saying it was the TFI, then another saying it was the TIF in distributor and finally another saying it was the ECM,,,,,,,sure glad I still got some of my hair left,,!!
When somebody tells you "check all the grounds",,you better listen. It seems the PO had cut one of the ground wires from a 2 wire connector just under the starter solenoid area and the exposed wire would sometimes touch the body and ground and engine would run for 5-10 seconds and quit. I checked every item from the TIF, Coil, TFI, ECM, fuel pump relay, inertia switch, and fuel pump and injectors,,,,there just wasn't anything else to check,,!! ,,,except them dang grounds,,,,,
I want to give a very much deserved "Shout Out" to ADSM-08 for taking time from his very busy schedule to help this old man and get my trk running again. I have No idea why the PO would of cut that wire, but by him doing so,,I bought at a very good price, what should now be a good project to fix up and drive.
My Thanks to ADSM-08 and all the others that offered their help and support,,,,what a GREAT bunch of Ford Lovers,,,!!!
Congratulations! I just picked up a 94 it's running, but it has lots and lots of small issues good luck!

Ilike55s2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey Denise,,,thanks and Good Luck with your newest,,,,I got lots of experience with electricals now,,,LOL. What's it doing or not doing,,??

I forgot to mention the 92 threw the CES light right after it fired up but since I don't have a code reader,,I'll have to wait till I get it all lashed up and registered before I can drive it to O'reilly's for them to see what the code is. Dang,,that engine sounds great,!!
I've had the battery disconnected several times getting to this point. Just thought of something,,I don't have the air intake plastics installed yet so,,,,maybe,,??

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Oh, let's just call it a "rattle trap" for now ... lots and lots of loose and rusted stuff. Runs, stops and goes too! We changed out "washing machine" trans for tight very low milage trans.. I must say.. 4.0 5 speed has more then enough power for me!

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Glad you got it going.:icon_hornsup:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals