• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0L rattle and clunk? Videos

bubblepoint

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
3.0L rattle and clunk? Update CEL codes

solved:
Removed downpipes and on the side with 2 cats had flaked off and fell onto the second cat blocking airflow. I removed all 5 cats and thoroughly cleaned them. Welded the cuts back together and bolted back up the exhaust. The problem is gone!

I have a 2002 3.0L XLT RWD. The engine has some rattle at idle and RPM's up to 2500. When I shut off the engine their is an audible thunk noise. Is this a timing chain or cam shaft problem? I recently did the water pump and replaced the serp tensioner, alternator and idle pulley. The noise was present before but the rattle is much worse now. Could it also be the harmonic balancer pulley out of alignment? No cel or error codes yet (see CEL codes next post). Videos of noise

https://youtu.be/cPaZG9_y2lM
https://youtu.be/A8Obcrs3Wo8

Updates:
The sounds seem to be coming from the driver side cat. I am now getting multiple CEL codes that show up at highways speeds or hard acceleration. I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs, coil pack and wires w/ OE Motorcraft but nothing changed. Am I looking at new heads or just new cat on driver side?

Consistently:
P0304- Cylinder 4 misfire
P0305- Cylinder 5 misfire
P0306- Cylinder 6 misfire

Sometimes:
P0171- System too lean (Bank 1)
P0175- System too rich (Bank 2)

Once:
P0403- EGR control circuit
P0503- Speed sensor intermittent/erratic/high

Are these any good for downpipe/cat replacement?
Ebay Link:

Last edited:

bubblepoint

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE- Lot's of CEL codes

Updates:
The sounds seem to be coming from the driver side cat. I am now getting multiple CEL codes that show up at highways speeds or hard acceleration. I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs, coil pack and wires w/ OE Motorcraft but nothing changed. Am I looking at new heads or just new cat on driver side?

Consistently:
P0304- Cylinder 4 misfire
P0305- Cylinder 5 misfire
P0306- Cylinder 6 misfire

Sometimes:
P0171- System too lean (Bank 1)
P0175- System too rich (Bank 2)

Once:
P0403- EGR control circuit
P0503- Speed sensor intermittent/erratic/high

Are these any good for downpipe/cat replacement?
Ebay Link:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals