• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

P0232 fuel pump secondary circuit high

Gunfighter34

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My issue: 2004 Ranger 3.0L started to randomly shut down. Would start after about five minutes then progressed to not starting at all. Engine turns over, registers rpm, no flashing theft device, inertia switch not tripped, no fuel pressure at rail.

I purchased a code reader and it is throwing the P0232 fuel pump secondary circuit high. I have since replaced the fuel pump relay, the fuel pump itself, and the rpm sensor. After reading the forum’s I have verified that the PCM relay and fuel pump relay are good relays themselves however, when cycling the key the relays do not energize and neither does the fuel pump. I have pulled the fuse box and checked for corroded and broken wires, verified the ground in the engine bay is solid.

When looking at the electrical diagram it shows an EEC relay. However, I cannot locate such a relay! I’m losing my mind here trying to solve this, please help.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

The EEC(aka PCM) Relay will be in the engine fuse box with the Fuel Pump relay.

When you turn on the key that Closes the PCM Relay
PCM Relay then sends 12v out to computer(PCM/EEC), fuel injectors, sensors and controls(IAC Valve, EVAP solenoid) and also the Fuel Pump relay's "coil", not the fuel pump itself.

The computer(PCM) has a wire to the GROUND pin on the fuel pump relay's coil
The PCM grounds the fuel pump relay's coil(closes relay) for 2 seconds when booting up, then will not ground it again until RPMs are above 400.
Cycling key on and off will get that 2 second ground each time.

P0232 fuel pump secondary circuit high
Secondary circuit is the 12volts that runs thru the relay, when it is closed, to the fuel pump, via the inertia switch.
(Relay's Coil is the Primary circuit, just FYI)

Battery +-----FP Fuse--------FP Relay---------inertia switch--------------------------Fuel Pump

FP fuse in engine fuse box has 12volts all the time, not a "key on" fuse

So this code means PCM is detecting 12volts on the Fuel Pumps power wire AFTER the 2 second run time but before startup.
PCM has a wire on the Inertia switch in the cab, this wire tells PCM that Fuel Pump is getting voltage when it has Grounded the Fuel Pump Relay, and then no power when relay is not grounded.

Power when PCM ungrounds the relay = P0232

So either Fuel Pump Relay is closed all the time, or there is a 12v at the inertia switch all the time.
Inertia switch is in passenger footwell below glove box or behind passenger side kick panel
get a volt meter and ground it
With key off test both terminals on the inertia switch, 0 volts expected
If you get 12v then pull the FP Fuse in the engine fuse box(#23) to see if the power is coming thru the FP Relay, if not then wires are shorted inside the harness

Turn key on, there should be 12v for 2 seconds THEN 5 to 8volts after that, this 5-8v is monitor voltage from PCM, no AMPs so can't power fuel pump.

If you have 12v after the 2 seconds then a "key on" fuse wire is shorted to fuel pump's 12v wire somewhere

A longshot BUT...........the PCM could be the problem, no real test for that but after you have eliminated all other possibilities......it is what it is

But best guess would be fuel pump needs to be replaced, odd code for that but if you do have 12v at inertia switch for those 2 seconds and do not hear the fuel pump in the gas tank running, its loud, then that is most likely the problem.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals