• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Camshaft Synchronize and Position Sensor

JeremyS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2002 Ranger Edge. 3.0 Vulcan, 140k miles

I'm currently doing some tune up and preventive maintenance work to my truck including replacing filters, plugs, and plug wires. I also just installed new control arms with ball joints, front and rear shocks, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar links, and a new exhaust system. The road salt in the midwest has not been nice to my exhaust and suspension/steer components!

This brings me to the notorious camshaft sync. The one on my truck is original. I popped the sensor off and didn't feel any play in the shaft, nor am I getting any trouble codes. How long do these usually last before you start seeing failure?

I am wondering if I should go ahead and replace this for peace of mind. I would probably stick an OEM replacement on from Rock Auto.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have seen no hard and fast 'this is the time they fail' window on those. If it has no play and doesn't squeak it is probably OK.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mine is a 98 with 155,000 miles and I'm not planning on changing it. Every other week or so, I take the sensor off, squirt a little 20W-50 oil down in there, put it back on and keep driving it. I'm driving it til it blows up anyway. Maybe I'll put a 289 or 302 in it when it gives up the ghost.

Anywho, doing the front suspension this weekend, just as you did. Old Squeaky will no longer be Old Squeaky. Might even grow to miss it! Been driving it all winter on bad ball joints and the tires haven't even worn in a funny or peculiar way. They look absolutely perfect and flat across the tread, no cupping or scalloping. Just been waiting on some half decent weather to do it, have all the parts. :D

Last edited:

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mine started squeaking at 73k, so I replaced both the syncro and sensor, I think at 140K you're on borrowed time.

As a backup I have an oil pressure warning buzzer wired to the pressure sender. Oil pressure drops to zero the buzzer blasts a warning. Neighbor made the circuit board.

JeremyS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mine started squeaking at 73k, so I replaced both the syncro and sensor, I think at 140K you're on borrowed time.

As a backup I have an oil pressure warning buzzer wired to the pressure sender. Oil pressure drops to zero the buzzer blasts a warning. Neighbor made the circuit board.
Thanks for the replies!

I think that I'll go ahead and replace this in the near future just for peace of mind.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals