• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 2.9 Ranger xlt Snorkel

Jed1992

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Got close to Hydro-locking my Ranger after a day in hood high water. After we got out my Ranger was sluggish - I pulled off the air cleaner and OH SH... it was soaking wet with mud and water.....I don't have the desire to add a higher lift so I began to look for a Snorkel kit... well they don't exist for this model and I could not get the Safari people to give me any specs on any of there stuff to try and rig one together not to mention the $$$. So I found the Ranger Station! I am so happy it is here - the Tech forum's rock and I have used them to tweak my design of my snorkel and it gives me a place to get hard learned advice from fellow Ranger owners.

I was very picky about the piping -- I did not want to use the PvC set ups I saw here. After many trips to home depot and the auto motive store finely I came on to the 2 1/2 inch Flex exhaust extension- used to vent your exhaust out of your grarage... I just saw a snorkel in the rough....It was fairly stout and it is flexible. So I would not have to piece together pvc. It is also 5 feet long - again just the right size. Now the issue of cutting the stock air box- well from the forum I got the technical down - but i really did not want to seal the existing Incoming air whole - I just cut it above the flex tubing that it has then sealed it with a clear piece of acrilic I had laying around my place. I used the window-weld urethane and it is awesome - then I cut the hole in the air box with a 2 1/2 " hole saw and fixed a 2" to 3" rubber plumping reducer to the air box with the window-weld urethane - set it over night to dry. Came out strong and sealed. Next I took off the fender and tried to get an idea of where I would put the whole in the inside fender. this took me a while as I was very apprehensive about making the cut. I found where I wanted to make center on it then cut it with a 2 3/4" bi-metal hole saw - put the fender on loosely - then used longer drill bit to drill through From the in-side to the outer fender thus marking the cut I would need to make to the outside fender. At this point I was on fire and could not wait to get the rest done!

Next I took a day to prime then paint the tubing and the cap. covering the area where I will put the gasket material as not to mess up its ability to seal with the pipe.

I then used liquid gasket to form a gasket around the holes in the fender- after sanding them with steel wool and cleaning then off. I also had already loose fitted the pipe and marked it where it was going to contact he fender inside and the out side pieces - then on the flex exhaust used the liquid gasket to form seal for any contact that occurs. I attached a corner brace to fix the Flex exhaust piping in place (see Photo) inside the engine compartment. Then flexed the pipe into position used some Plumper's strapping around the pipe using 3/4" roof screws (the ones with the little guekets on them) then placed black insulation tape on the inside of the strapping (help to keep the piping from moving around and making noise etc.) It worked great I did this in two places. My only concern is weather the top part of the flex pipe will flex out of position and be crooked ... so far that has not happened but I have to hit the trail first to give it a true test.

Click here to see the pictures

Well that is it hope it helps any others with a 1992 ranger 2.9L

JED

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals