• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Heater core leakage maybe?

SixSh00ter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
1998 Ranger 4.0 4x4 I've got a leak coming out of the bottom of the plastic housing that's mounted on the engine side of the firewall, it's right about the passengers side wheel well. It looks like water, it's not green like anti-freeze. I've got a diagram from Autozone and it looks like the blower motor, etc is attached to this plastic housing. So I'm guessing it has something to do with the heater core or the A\C. It only leaks when the motor is running. If the heater core is leaking would it leak on the engine side or cabin side of the firewall. I had a heater core die in a car 20 years ago and it leaked on the cabin side. I've looked up how to replace the heater core, and it sounds nightmarish. Let me know what other info you may need to help me troubleshoot this and I'll get back to you asap.

Thanks

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if your heater core was leaking it would be leaking into the cab more than likely.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Sounds like condensation from the evaporator - nothing to worry about.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
if its clear its just moisture from your evaporator core, its normal.

SixSh00ter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks to all for cluing me in. I don't use the A\C much, and I've never seen it leak like it is at the moment. It is humid where I'm located and I've been running the defroster in the morning.

cookieboy_03

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Same problem, but antifreeze.

Hello all! :bye:

First post, but have lurked for a while, especially when replacing my vaccuum hubs with the AVM lockers. Great info found here!

My 98 4.0 Ranger is leaking antifreeze in the same location, out of the blower motor housing right above the passenger side wheel well. I took the inner fender off to make sure it wasn't the puke tank leaking or something.

It wasn't. :sad:

I haven't noticed any leaking inside the cab, but will have to look inside to make sure.

I can't see where else the coolant could be coming from, I checked all the hoses on the passenger side and couldn't see any leaking.

I am planning on taking the blower motor out and see if I can find anything, but should I start planning on taking the dash out? :dunno:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The drain for the evap box may be plugged making it come out faster (after building up for a while) than it used to.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals