• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Alternator swap questions

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm doing the 130 amp alt. swap on my 86 and had a couple questions. I got the new alternator of a 3.8 Taurus.

1. One of my factory wiring plugs will plug right into the new alt., it seems to be correct as well, yellow is always hot green is ignition. I just wanted to verify that I cut the white wire and run it to the single terminal on the new alternator and leave the truck side unattached?

2.it appears in the tech article that the new upper alternator bracket has 2 holes in it which I am guessing some one drilled the second hole, I was just wondering if someone had a measurement as to where this hole needs to be?

3. I assume nothing is used out of the second plug for the factory alternator since now I am charging straight to the battery?

Thanks for any advice you could offer

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you are not using an external regulator then yes the white wire loops back to alternator and the "truck side" can just be pulled out as it went to the now removed external regulator.
Good wiring diagrams here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/130_amp_alternator_swap.shtml

The green wire is the on/off switch for the alternator, on and off with key.
Yellow is the voltage monitor for regulator, so hooked to battery along with larger B+ wire.
White allows regulator to control voltage output of alternator.

The second hole looks like it is there to allow the bracket to clear the alternator case because the angles are different, so I would put it in place and mark/drill yours to fit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals