• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

milky snot

junkfixr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got an '88 2.9 that just had a set of World heads installed. I have the paperwork & warranty and they were installed by a ASE mechanic, BUT...I'm getting white snot around the pcv and breather and quite a bit in the valve covers themselves.

I'm guessing head gasket but is there a chance the lower intake gasket is leaking? Or worse case, a hairline crack in the block from overheating in it's past life? I don't see oil in the coolant, just moisture on the dipstick & top end.

NEVERDONE86

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
If the heads came with a warranty take it back. Before more damage is done.

junkfixr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know that the heads are bad. Could just be gaskets, warped block....I've got another 2.9 that I can use them on, just wondering where to start and what, in your opinion,could cause these symptoms?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Shouldn't be a head issue.
Are you losing coolant?
If not then heads are OK.

Clean or replace PCV Valve, clean it's hose and clean the Vent hose(breather hose), make sure their ports are clean inside as well.

The PCV system needs good air flow to pull the moisture out of the valve cover and oil pan area.
Also short trips that don't allow engine to warm up fully causes a build up of moisture in these areas, i.e trips under 15 minutes.

In winter months there tends to be more moisture in the air outside, that adds to the moisture in the PCV serviced areas, and the engine also takes a bit longer to warm up in cold weather, so double whammy for moisture build up.
Make sure you are running a 192-195degF thermostat, that helps to evaporate the moisture in the valve covers and oil pan, also from the oil as well.

Just like condensation(moisture) builds up on the windshield(windows) in the cab because it loses heat faster than other parts, the PCV Valve, oil cap and dipstick have the same issue, they cool down faster so moisture tends to collect there and when it mixes with the oil already there it makes the whitish residue.
It isn't "normal", and is a sign of poor ventilation or short trips.

I had to redo the PCV system setup on a GM engine I had, made it larger for better flow because every winter I would get the "snot" building up, it became a TSB upgrade for that engine eventually, lol.
2.9l isn't known for this issue so existing PCV system should be fine as long as it is working to spec

Last edited:

junkfixr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the advice. That sounds more feasible as I really haven't put any highway mileage on it yet. I have done the pcv & thermostat and hopefully the weather breaks soon & I'll get a chance to drive it further than a few miles per day. Eventually it'll get an engine swap but for now it's a daily driver and the 4x4 has been great in the snow. They may be lame on power but with regular maintenance the 2.9's are tough little, cast iron troopers.

Mike Tonon

I had an 87 2.9 and the same thing was happening, for years. Even my 07 4.0 has done this, since new, I think. Might be condensation, might be an issue, might be both.

2.9's aren't too bad on power. I miss my 2.9. I'd put a 2.9 and an 83-87 style dash in an 07+ Ranger 2wd, if I had the means.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the short trips will do that in the winter months.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I miss my 2.9. I'd put a 2.9 and an 83-87 style dash in an 07+ Ranger 2wd, if I had the means.
Ug, I would not.

I have an 87 with a 4.0 and an 88 with a 2.9 that came out of the 87.

I do not miss the 2.9 one bit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals