• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2010 2.3 to 4.0

AyAnthony702

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
I wanna swap my 2.3 for a 4.0 does it have the same bell housing for the 5 speed or do I need another one? Is it possible I haven't seen any posts about it? What's all required?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I guess you haven't looked too hard if you haven't seen any posts that answer your questions.

No, the bell housing is not the same. Never was. The 4-cylinders were always their own thing. Since the M5OD uses an integrated bell you don't need a new bell housing, you need a new transmission.

Then you need wiring and a computer. Since it is a 2010 you need to get the security system reset before it will start. Also, the ABS/traction control system will need updated, along with a few other modules to get rid of the VIN mis-match errors caused by the PCM not being from that truck. And that is assuming your modules will take the needed calibration files. On most post-2000 vehicles there are physical differences in the modules in addition to software differences, and not all modules will accept all programming.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

Since you can just go out and buy a stock 4.0l Ranger there is no good reason to do that swap.
If 2.3l has problems then fix it and sell it, use that money plus money you would have spent on a swap to buy a 4.0l Ranger.

V8 swap is another story, you can't buy a stock V8 Ranger because they were never made.
The swap is the same, engine, trans, computer and wiring, but more power and unique vehicle.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals