• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hydroboost swap into 93 Ranger

recutright

Ford Technician
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Ive been searching for over almost 2 hours now and haven't found what im looking for yet. if someone can point me the the right direction then good. and if this post doesn't belong here then let me know where it goes.

background.
I am gathering parts for a 302V8 swap into a 93 Ranger ext cab 2wd. I am waiting on the machine shop to get my parts back and build the long block before I start my build thread. also picking up a couple AOD trannys Saturday and building them before I start that thread.

What I looking for.
I was wondering if anyone here has taken the vacuum booster out of their ranger and installed a hydro boost system. the type of hydro boost brake system you might see in a Mustang (my 97 Mustang GT has it). I haven't seen anything in the tech page or searching the threads. I know using a Saginaw style pump with dual return ports works for GM style setups. and a Saginaw pump can be installed on a 302 in a ranger with the right brackets. Making the hoses is easy enough and there is a hydraulic shop 5min up the road that can make any kind of hose I can think of.
Other then removing and installing the hydro booster, I am not quite up to speed with modifying them to work in this particular situation. Any help will be awesome. critics and naysayers are welcome as well.
Thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For those that don't know what this is:
Hydro-boost uses power steering fluid and pressure instead of engine vacuum for power assisted braking.
The hydro-boost unit is smaller than the large vacuum assist booster, so if space is tight is it a reasonable option.
It also has a pressure reservoir that works similar to the check valve in vacuum assist, so power assist is not lost if engine should stall or in this case if power steering pump should lose pressure, you still have a few power assisted pedal pushes.

As far as I know the Ranger master can be used with a hydro-booster made for that size bore, it is bore size more than Brand of vehicle, pretty much all hydraulic brakes work the same, so outside of adding the hoses it should be plug and play.

Not inexpensive though, but you can get used parts, look here: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154675

Power steering pump swap would be good in any case Ford's are noisy.

grumpyguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've been wanting to do this to my truck for years. Not doing a motor swap just want to do something different.

recutright

Ford Technician
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
im thinkin just pick up the booster and master cylinder together from the local pull a part. lines are easy, ive done those type of lines before. im almost certain that the ranger vacuum booster is bolted to the firewall with four bolts in a square pattern. the same four bolt square pattern on the mustang hydro booster. truth is I have never needed to remove the vacuum booster from a ranger before but it does look like the same bolt style and push rod design that the mustangs have.
like you said, should be plug and play once you have the lines made.
Thanks for the link RonD
Ill post some pics here also when I actually do the swap.

recutright

Ford Technician
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
My local pick a part has the booster and master cylinder listed for $30. which will probably be the cheapest part of the swap.lol
Im researching pumps and brackets now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals