• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What I learned about extended brake hoses

skrape

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Because I suffer from significant brain damage I swapped a D44 TTB into a Ranger with a 5" lift. :icon_welder:

Wonder of wonders, the stock brake hoses were too short. Here's what I learned about extended brake hoses.

Turns out there are a few ways to approach this:
  • Find longer OEM rubber lines
  • Combine OEM rubber lines to form a longer composite hose
  • Buy commercial extended hoses
  • Have a hydraulic shop make your hoses to spec
  • Assemble the hoses from AN fittings

I investigated all of these, and will list the pros and cons that I found. In the end, I had a hydraulic shop make custom hoses, and was very happy with the results, but if I had it to do over, I might assemble them from AN fittings.

The details:

First off, stock Ranger hoses appear to be about 16" long. The hoses from the '96 Bronco that donated my D44 TTB were a little shorter, maybe 15", IIRC. (Don't take that as gospel - I'll try to measure them and post the real numbers later.)

These threads talk about finding longer OEM hoses, or assembling longer composite hoses:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157145
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146897

I rejected the composite hose approach because the resulting lines are, frankly, ugly; and the money savings is miniscule compared to the other approaches.

I looked at longer OEM hoses - F250 and Chevy C3500 hoses specifically - and rejected them because they were not significantly longer than the stock Ranger hoses, and I needed >a lot< longer. The cost would have been about $20 per hose - cheap enough.

skrape

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Next I looked at commercial extended brake hoses. I ordered a set of Rough Country stainless extended lines for an F150, for 4-6" lift, via Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C0XFPF0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

I paid about fifty bucks, plus a few bucks shipping. So, just a little more than the longer OEM hoses off a bigger truck, and these are nice stainless line.

The problem was: at 16" long, they were longer than the stock Bronco lines, but pretty much the same length as my stock Ranger lines - which were way not long enough.

Rough Country was gracious about returning them, and I will buy their products in the future, being more careful to get my own shit together.

skrape

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Custom hoses from a hydraulic shop:

I googled "Hydraulic Hoses" for my city. The prominent hit was for Parker Store, which seems to be a franchise, 'cuz they have locations all over the place. There was one not too far off my route to work so I dropped in on them.

I did look up the specs for the hose fittings - one end was a 3/8" or 10mm banjo fitting, the other 3/8-24 hose, for both the Bronco and Ranger hoses - but I brought one with me just so they could see it. I think that's a pretty good idea, if you can bring them one, it makes it easier for them and more likely to get right. They found end fittings that worked and I specified stainless steel hose. I specified 36" length, and they built the things while I waited. Cost was about $40 per hose, and they looked great.

This is where it got interesting... I put the passenger hose on first; fittings were just right, except I had to spend 5 min with a file, as the retainer hole in the spring bucket of the Ranger is round, and the fitting I got had a couple of points on it. No big deal.

When I got to the driver's side I discovered that A) the example hose I'd brought in was a passenger-side, and B) they're not identical - the drivers's side actually needs to be a T fitting up at the hard-line, and that's not what I'd asked for. So, back to the Parker Store for a new hose, and another $40. My bad.

skrape

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So, top to bottom:
Stock F150/Big Bronco front brake hose - 20" long
Stock Ranger front brake hose - driver's side, note the "tee" fitting - 24" long
Custom 36" stainless brake hose from The ParkerStore

skrape

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you have custom hoses made, one tip: it's really best to bring the old hose with you, and here's why:
Stainless hose doesn't twist very much. When you get a hose built, they'll match the radial alignment of the fittings to the old hose, so things line up.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
mmmm.

i would never....

do that.

it is ok to do if that is what you want, but run soft standard hose that is available anywhere at the pivots and hardline the beam to the standard softlines at the calipers....

parts are everywhere and it only costs a few dollars to do.

brakes are something i dont want to even have to think about replacing lines for...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
the main thing is when you have travel, a long line dangling is easy to destroy with rocks/sticks off road...or even a sudden impact will waste those long braided lines that come with lift kits....after failing so many i consider it a bad way to go....approaching retarded if its used heavily in harsh off road environments...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
when i said beam....it could be beam or the radius arm...

easy to do with junkyard parts or soft lines from any rear or trailer universal application that are shelf items at all parts stores and cheap.

and swapping to a ttb d44 is genius to me by the way. i will build another one.

Last edited:

silkysix

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Flexible brake lines

Skrape,
Thanks for the info on the extended flex lines. I have SS braided lines on my BII with a 3" lift but I am not satisfied with the set up. They either rub on the tires or get into the coil spring. My local state inspector says I can't have them zip-tied to the coil. How do you deal with the slack in the line?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
hmmm. i see i need to condense and simplify my rambling.

make a metel bracket out of strap to stabilize the brakeline. but your better off with a 3 in lift to run e350 brake lines and some drop tabs made from strap.

or do like i described in the rambling posts above because a real long line...unless it is only a grocery getter is a bad idea.

those braided lines suck when they are retarded long and are dangerous.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals