• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starter grinding

baconops89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I recently bought an 85 ford ranger 4x4 with the 2.8 v6 and the clutch was out when I bought it so we replaced the clutch and the flywheel and all of the related parts. The truck started and ran great before i did this. Now when I try and start it, it will start but it makes a horrible grinding noise. Another thing I discovered is that if I unplug the coil it sounds fine. It seems to me that when the engine is trying to start the flywheel is spinning faster than the starter and the gears may not be meshing correctly. I read about using a 10 tooth starter drive gear it does anyone know where I can get one or does anyone have anything else I could try? Any help is greatly appreciated. I was supposed to take it in for front end work tomorrow but I don't even want to start it like that.

baconops89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Update!!!

Finally found a 10 tooth starter drive gear put it in and started up great no abnormal noise whatsoever.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Glad you got it fixed! Where did you find it?
And welcome to TRS!

baconops89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I ended up finding it at orielys but on the internet they called it an 11 tooth so I thought that it wouldn't work but after a little research I couldn't find an 11 tooth anywhere else so I just ordered one and sure enough it was a 10 tooth and worked perfectly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals