• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How do I replace the water outlet?

UncleBud473

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am new and trying to replace the water outlet from the top rear of the block on a 2003 ford ranger 2.3l 4L engine. Any help would be appreciated. The cooling tube broke off in it and in trying to remove it I busted it! Not really a mechanic, but I really do not want to pay a lot to get it fixed. I am a vet who is disabled and spend a lot of time and money fighting the VA. Please help.
Thanks! :annoyed:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but step two for replacing the rear water outlet is to remove the transmission.

Unfortunately for you, and others in the similarly unfortunate position of owning a late-model 4-cylinder Ranger many things that should be fairly minor repairs have that as step two or three. That engine was originally designed to be transverse mounted, and a lot of the parts placements reflect that. When it's sideways across the vehicle that stuff is easy to work on. When it's put in longitudinally with the firewall right there, taking the trans out is the only way to get enough room to work.

Last edited:

UncleBud473

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Water outlet 2003 2.3l 4l engine?

Is there anyway to replace the water outlet by going through the drivers side finder well? or would that be harder then dropping the transmission?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well you said you are disabled, so I am assuming an auto trans.

There are often ways to get around taking apart things that Ford says have to be taken apart for access, if you are determined and dexterous enough. It also helps to have a few thousand dollars invested in tools.

I am not that familiar with the Ranger 2.3, as I don't see many newer Rangers, and almost none are 4-cyl. If you can lay up on top it may be possible to sneak it off the back with some ratcheting wrenches.

UncleBud473

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
is there any way to go through the driver's side finder well?

UncleBud473

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the help and advise. It is an automatic transmission. Not being a mechanic, do you think I can drop it and put it back up. This my final question.........I hope!

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I am not sure about the wheel well. Like I said, I don't see a lot of 4 banger Rangers. You may be able to drop the trans yourself, it depends on the extent of your abilities and disabilities. If you plan to try and don't own a motorcycle jack run to harbor freight and drop the money on the little rolling trans jack. Its worth it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals