• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Light modification to exhaust location.

Kurt.king870s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I just did a solid axle swap, and my 4-link runs into the flange where the Y-pipe meets the cat. So i'd like to just bend it up a couple inches so that I get more clearance. If I can get it 1.5 inches higher, I would probably gain 4 inches of travel, at which point other things would be in the way. I tried putting a floor jack under it and getting the Y-pipe red hot closer to the engine, but the flange didn't move. Any thoughts as to how I can get it moved up an inch or two?

Kurt.king870s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And all those bolts really Hella rusty, so if it can stay in the truck, that would be ideal, but i'my open to taking it out if that'sounds what it takes.

Jimmyrig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It ain't stuck till it don't move
Can you notch out the flange enough to clear? Or can you unbolt the back of the cat and try bending it again? The rest of the exhaust might be what's holding you up. I'm not sure how your able to get both pipes hot enough to bend at the same time, that could be your hang up as well. Since your in the middle of a SAS job, I'm betting you have the skills and tools to notch out the down pipes to get the bend up you need and weld them back shut, naturally you will have to do the same behind the cat because of the angle it will create, the pipe will have to bend in two spots. Pictures would be a huge help. From what I'm picturing though, the ideal fix would be to cut both down pipes where they are vertical, remove enough to get your clearance, tack them back together then remove the y pipe and weld it back together. I bet that if you use a torch and get the nuts to barely start to glow you can get them off with a 6 point socket way easier than you think, i do it a couple times a day working in a tranny shop, and we get some bad ones sometimes. Then buy brass nuts to replace them with. The brass won't rust and lock on like steel nuts will. Antiseize helps too. Something else to consider is that by moving your exhaust up, you will probably have to make a change to your first set of exhaust hangers because they probably won't be doing their job anymore. Hope this helps, I'll check back a few times to see if you shoot down any of this, or if you put up a picture, If it won't work, say so. Knowing what doesn't work helps to figure out what does.

Last edited:

Kurt.king870s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
After starring at it for awhile, I noticed that if I just notch out the flange I can gain about an inch and a half of clearance there without cutting into any of the bolts or making a giant hole in the pipe.
1.5 inches there will mean 2-3 inches at the axle, and that means 5 or so inches from where it sits with the weight on it. And stuff can bend a bit since I only have 5.5 until the axle its self starts hitting things....because it would only have to bend 3/8 or so.

i've welded exhaust before, and even though i haven't found anyone who is better than me at it, my welds still always look like crap, so I didn't want to do that.....and I want to get an Explorer 5.0 at some point, and get custom headers and exhaust made for it. I know a guy who made exhaust a few years back, I think he still does.
I'll try to post some pictures then so you guys can see exactly what's going on.
Thanks for the input Jim.

Kurt.king870s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
20170425_194255.jpg
20170425_194244.jpg
Here's how it ended up......maybe could be a little better, but it rides pretty stiff, so it should never make it that far.

Jimmyrig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It ain't stuck till it don't move
Looks good. Glad it worked out easy. I personally never worry much what exhaust welds look like as long as they hold and don't leak, but it's still a pain. I did a whole system in mine last week, Flowmaster glass pack combo with the flow restrictor removed. Sounds awesome, quiet until your realy lay in to it, and it has a good tone. I put in a used system from another ranger then put a used Flowmaster in with it. Then ran out of argon after tacking it in place, so I had to oxy-acetylene weld it then re weld it after I got gas. Exhaust is always a bigger pain than it should be. Looks like you've got a sweet wheeler going, I know how important that last inch of flex can be at times

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals