• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"Clunk" (T-case)

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Feeling a bit defeated.. not quite ready to start working on the beast as I'm hoping to sell my collector car for some additional $ and the "bad" auto is still shifting kind of ok.

Anyway, got the "feeling" it was stuck in 4wd (93, 4.0 auto long bed) the other day.. back up..park, fwd.. and it seemed ok.. next morning it "feels" like it's in 4wd again.. At the intersection red light and slight hill I did the same routine.. (no cars behind me) green light I made a left turn.. CLUNK! under the drivers seat for sure. but the steering seemed lighter so I assumed it popped out.

I don't have manual hubs (yet) Which ones should I get? Rugged Ridge?

Lights work and 4L works, although when cold, it's slow to go into 4wd hi or lo.

Worried the Clunk was the T-case internals breaking. so I'm a bit hesitant to try 4wd again.

Hoping it's the shift motor :dunno:

On a tight left turn I do always feel/hear binding or scrubbing even if not in 4wd. could that be the limited slip differential?

Did a gravel test . only the back wheels spun yesterday.

I do read the tech sections :)

Happy Easter all!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Could be locked up front U-joints. If the auto hubs aren't disengaging correctly those can cause all sorts of issues.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would go Warn for hubs.

If you are not stuck on new U-Pull-It around me gets $10 a pair for hubs and they don't care if you have the conversion bits or not... so I would try a yard near you.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I'll try some yards but leaning towards new. I did realize when my "trusted" garage guy did the front brakes and found a badly warped rotor he packed the auto hubs with grease and reading the tech page says use ATF I'm like duh?

Warn... ok.. better quality? I'm not going to be rock crawling only expect to use the 4wd in bad weather and maybe a fishing trip in the woods.

Thank you gentlemen :)

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Well it seems Summit has about the best price on Warn standard hubs and even the conversion kit is reasonable

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Heh heh, The Rat's manual locks are original The chrome is peeling off the ABS plastic. They work great. Their ugliness is typical of the Rat's "ratty-ness" . I don't get why Ford ever offered manual hubs on a shift on the fly 4WD. It doesn't matter. I have to go underneath and shift then wire the TC into place. I don't care. When I lock the peeling hubs, I know that it is in 4wd. Pushing a button to shift the TC is an act of faith. Centrifugal hubs aint rocket science either. I had a Willys with them. I had AMC Grand Wagoneers for 20 yrs too. Vacuum is simple and cheap. mostly jeeps suffered from rotten hoses. I can only imagine what could happen to a Ford engineered vacuum hub. :D

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I have a Dana 35 with 27 spline? should be according to Warn.com site.
https://warn.com/truck/hubs/application_chart.jsp

Guess I'm going to have to do something pretty soon, it clunks and buzzes like a ratchet. backup seems to lock the driver's side not unlock it

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Well have a set of NEW warn standard hubs. I don't like the how the outer lock nut only relies on torque and friction to keep it tight with the inner lock nut. My ole friend is going to help me get these things installed this week (if it ever stops raining)

There is an outfit called "stage 8" that makes a locking setup for the dana 35. but at nearly another 100 bucks. I hope I don't "need" it.

The tech pages did show that the older warn hubs had set screws on the outer locknut!

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Update: the right side auto hub was culprit butt: got a bad lower ball joint so on it goes :(

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Heh heh, The Rat's manual locks are original The chrome is peeling off the ABS plastic. They work great. Their ugliness is typical of the Rat's "ratty-ness" . I don't get why Ford ever offered manual hubs on a shift on the fly 4WD. It doesn't matter. I have to go underneath and shift then wire the TC into place. I don't care. When I lock the peeling hubs, I know that it is in 4wd. Pushing a button to shift the TC is an act of faith. Centrifugal hubs aint rocket science either. I had a Willys with them. I had AMC Grand Wagoneers for 20 yrs too. Vacuum is simple and cheap. mostly jeeps suffered from rotten hoses. I can only imagine what could happen to a Ford engineered vacuum hub. :D
Manual hubs only came factory on manual transfer case RBVs. A previous owner converted the truck over to manual hubs.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Could be locked up front U-joints. If the auto hubs aren't disengaging correctly those can cause all sorts of issues.
Now that we are getting into the work. I actually found that the right auto hub was locking few and rev making clicks weird, I thought it was the left But, that would cause the other end axle to spin in reverse right?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals