• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Switching 96 radio for a 98+

tharpka28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi everyone,

I've been doing tons of research lately on finding the best way to switch out my 1996 original Ranger cassette radio for one with both cassette and CD capabilities. I want to try and keep with the same style and lighting scheme, so I'm looking at a 1998 to 2003 (it looks like that's where that style of radio ends) Ranger radio. However, I looked at the connections on the back and they are different. Does anyone know of a connector that would attach a 1998-2003 Ford Ranger CD/Cassette radio to a 1996 truck?

I'm hoping that the picture of the radio I'm looking to get is attached to the post but I can't really tell.

Anyway thanks a ton in advance!

ranger.jpg

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You don't say where you are getting the new radio from.

If it were me and I was shopping at the junkyard, I would grab at least 8 inches of the wiring harness with the new radio. Then splice that I to your existing harness . Then it would plug right into the new radio. If you splice the wires neatly with solder and heat shrink, it makes a very nice, neat harness that tucks into the dash easily.

The guy that did the radio in my truck before I got it used little crimp caps that looked kinda like wire.nuts. he had good connections. But it made a big unwieldy mess that barely left room to stuff the radio in the hole. All gone now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

tharpka28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks a ton, I will go ahead and try that!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals