• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FPR tapping..is this normal?

BAYNE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 84 ranger with a newer 2.9v6... the intake manifold gasket was junk and leaking so i replaced it.. all went together easy... but now that everything is quiet ''if you will'' i can hear a tapping... i did the old ear to the screwdriver test to pinpoint where it was coming from and its definatly the FPR making the tapping noise... the truck runs great and no starting issues.. just wondering if this is normal or a sign of the FPR starting to fail

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There isn't anything in the FPR that should really be able to make that kind of noise. You were probably hearing a loud injector telegraphing to the FPR.

BAYNE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thats what i figured.. it just sounds like its the loudest on/in the fpr

BAYNE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
so is it normal.. or alright to have a loud injector ... this is my daily driver so just want it to keep goin...lol

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
You can use the 'screwdriver' method, along with disconnecting each injector plug to locate the exact one causing the loud 'click'. But in all honesty? These engines are not happy unless they have a bit of clicks and what not.

If it makes you feel better? Look into a replacement injector. Get the ID number and do an eBay search for a cheaper replacement then the parts houses. (Check the 'feedback' on the sellers profile to ensure they are decent to work with)

(and yeah....ours sounds like nickles in a tin can rolling around with our 2.9. It needs injectors replaced as they are leaking again. But it still runs and drives okay)

S-

BAYNE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
nice thats all i needed to know ... mine arent leaking just noisey i guess... they can tap away then... thanks everyone for the info

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Off topic, but I read that as fapping.

Anyway, I agree probably just an injector. I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets significantly worse.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals