• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

83 2.0 carb to 2.3 efi turbo, fuel and other?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
yeah, but I don't have my mind wrapped around wiring the thing from scratch yet, I'll probaby be closer when I redo my conversion in the next couple months

Xploda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 soon to be turbo
Transmission
Manual
Why redo it scott?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I have to pull the engine to reseal, so I might as well clean up a few things I did the first time...

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
im finally going to get to my project ranger and need to know about what fuel tank to swap in in it so........
will a efi ranger 86-92 tank bolt right up to the 83, are all efi 1st gen ranger tanks the same, ie 2.3,2.9,2wd,4wd,ect,ect?

do the tanks differ in anyway, will later year tanks bolt right up i.e. maybe up to 97 ish? iirc there are metal and plastic ones?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The mounts and crossmembers changed a little over the years, they changed from metal to plastic in '89 I believe, the main difference between a 4x2 and 4x4 fuel tank is the skid plate on the bottom of the 4x4 where the 4x2 just has a plastic chafe plate.

If the Merkur has an in tank fuel pump, you might be able to snab some parts from that and put them in the Ranger...

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
so any efi 2wd tank will work from 89-9?????? ??

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
a nother question about fuel tanks, my truck stock was a 2wd 2.0 4 speed carbed truck, i would like to put a stock efi ranger tank in it, but i cant seem to find brand new one anywhere,whats the deal with that??? also im unsure of what size and from what year to get it from if i can find a new one.?.?

Hammermechanic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
The plastic tanks FIT just fine,and have the return line. Problem is the gauge sender. They are different Ohmage and are reversed electrically,IE if 1= Empty and 9=full, the plastic tank sender is more like 9=empty and 1=full. I have found a way to adapt the old sender to the plastic tanks sender,and can take a pic if you need one.
As to the wiring of a turbo engine...use as much of the Merkurs harness as possible. As to connecting it to your truck,I've always used this diagram as a guide,for everything from adapting a harness to building one from scratch:
http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_to/T-bird_install/t-birdwiring.jpg
Good luck to you. I don't visit here daily,but would be happy to help whenever I do.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
The plastic tanks FIT just fine,and have the return line. Problem is the gauge sender. They are different Ohmage and are reversed electrically,IE if 1= Empty and 9=full, the plastic tank sender is more like 9=empty and 1=full. I have found a way to adapt the old sender to the plastic tanks sender,and can take a pic if you need one.
As to the wiring of a turbo engine...use as much of the Merkurs harness as possible. As to connecting it to your truck,I've always used this diagram as a guide,for everything from adapting a harness to building one from scratch:
http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_to/T-bird_install/t-birdwiring.jpg
Good luck to you. I don't visit here daily,but would be happy to help whenever I do.
thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals