• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 Turbo Thunderbird Motor in OBD2 Range -. HELP!

ShotnVA777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
and is that diagram a direct hookup of how to do it in an obd2???

I haven't looked into the others much yet.... Jw.

Or is this the exact same wiring schematic that my other buddy "adsm" gave me???

ShotnVA777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Ok.... Big updates! Everything from a BRAND NEW turbo and better manifold, to a downpipe, to a valve job today, to a "Large" VAM, ALL TYPES OF ISH!!!

I also started painting my motor (I'm going to sand down the letters on everything and then clear coat - anything that doesn't HAVE letters, has been clearcoated ALREADY!)

ITS SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE AN "OREO" BECAUSE THAT'S ITS NAME! Lol! Don't even ask, just let the pics do the talking.... HA!

Oh and PS... THIS OLD MAN KNOWS THESE MOTORS!!! CHECK OUT ALL THE HEADS AND BLOCKS AND JUST FULL FREAKING MOTORS/TURBOS, EVERYTHING. ... EVERYWHERE!

ALSO CHECK OUT THE VEHICLE COLLECTION! SHEESH!
★EVERY-SINGLE-ONE IS TURBOED★

ShotnVA777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual

ALL CRAP I'M NOT USING!!!! ANYBODY NEEDA BLOCK/HEAD?! ANYTHING!? LOL.

ShotnVA777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual

Also swapped in the BETTER slider cam, instead of that worn out roller cam that came stock!

This bad girl was babied. .. you can tell from all the carbon buildup that SHOULD'VE burnt off SOMEWHAT! And the fact that there's absolutely NO bore wear on this 60k block and head! Nor NOT A TRACE of metal or AANYTHING in the oil pan, once removed!

NOW.... on to the painting!!!!

ANNNNNDDD. ... LAST BUT NOT LEAST! HAD TO BUILD A BLOCKOFF PLATE FOR THIS EMISSIONS CRAPOLA!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
um, remake your EGR blockoff plate... it needs to be at least 1/8" thick (using steel, thicker if aluminum) unless on a naturally aspirated engine, that port is roughly a square inch (ok, so a bit less... whatever) so you try pushing with say 15 pounds of force from the inside and that sheet metal will bend, if you used good silicone it may take a bit but it will happen eventually.

Looks like a start

ShotnVA777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
um, remake your EGR blockoff plate... it needs to be at least 1/8" thick (using steel, thicker if aluminum) unless on a naturally aspirated engine, t.t port is roughly a square inch (ok, so a bit less... whatever) so you try pushing with say 15 pounds of force from the inside and that sheet metal will bend, if you used good silicone it may take a bit but it will happen eventually.

Looks like a start
She's more than a start! She'll be done, as soon as I get my PCM and my Wiring Harness! Thank you though.

Oh, and that's NOT sheet metal... That's actually exactly what you said it was, a piece of 1/8" Steel. Thgh I did sand the faces of both sides! Trust me when I say, you couldnt bend that metal w/ your hands. She's going NO WHERE. 've also got high heat silicone and a brand new gasket on there, torqued down pretty "toughly"!

That said, heres some MORE pics.... Its moving RIGHT ALONG! This is a test fit of everything before I coat everything with some anti-seize and torque it all down!

Torque specs for the head bolts look to be about 95ft lbs if I'm reading correctly... Anyone know what they are for the intake manifold (where it connects to head) and exhaust manifold (where it connects to the head)?!?!?!

PICZZZZZZ:

And that's about as far as I got.... I DID pull some serpentine pulleys/brackets, off the 97 8 plug motor, that I need to paint and install too.

BUT AGAIN! THIS IS ONLY A DRY FIT, I HAVEN'T TORQUED ANYTHING DOWN - YET! :D

:icon_cheers:

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That's NOT sheet metal... That's a piece of 1/8" Steel. I've also got high heat silicone and a brand new gasket on there, torqued down pretty "toughly"!
Looks more like 1/32" in that picture.

ShotnVA777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Looks more like 1/32" in that picture.
Pixture just looks decieving then. Ill put the calipers on it tonight!

Tho I DID SAY i used a belt sander after i drilled the holes. Grinded it down pretty good....

Ill post a pic after work.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I will say though, if it doesn't crumble almost immediately after starting the engine and letting it idle it SHOULD hold up to 15 lbs of boost. If you think about it, when the engine is idling in Virginia, with 20-some inches of vacuum in the intake means the atmosphere is pushing on it with somewhere between 13-14.7 PSI anyway, it's just going in the other direction.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, when I was looking at it before it looked like thin sheet metal, looking at it again it looks thicker...

having the vacuum at an idle shouldn't be an issue, it would help the silicone hold it on (this engine should have 20-22" vacuum at idle once running), but under pressure there's about 1" of leverage that it's pushing against acting completely differently than while under vacuum

As far as torque for the intake and exhaust manifolds, I don't bother but if you are going to 25ftlb should be reasonable since they're 10mm, that's the spec for a 350ci V8... the intake manifolds on those are 11ftlb though but that's a whole different design...

ShotnVA777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Its thick enough. I ASSURE you.

Lol... And its been lock tighted in AND had a brand new "crush gasket" WITH added high heat silicone on both sides of the gasket. She should do fine!

THAT SAID, I've ALMOST got EVERYTHING together, hell, I even have the WIRING harness hooked to the motor! Lol. VAM's dangling and ALL! :icon_rofl:

I'm working on cutting/taking completely out every wire I WON'T need for the LA3 harness and then re-taping AND shrink wrapping EVERYTHING. I'm already going to have two wiring harnesses, might as well clean them up! :icon_thumby:

ShotnVA777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Okie doke guys ★MASSIVE PICTURE UPDATE WARNING★

Hey guys! Here's some updated pictures of my build! Motor is COMPLETE except for a LA3 PCM.

That said, I grabbed the wiring harness today out of an 87 T-Bird coupe, that the motor had just been pulled out of. For SOME REASON, I can't find ANY plugs for the intake manifold? No knock sensor, nothing. Most/ALL of those plugs are 2 prong MALE plugs and tthe 87 T-bird harness, THAT CAME OFF AN LA3, doesn't have those PLUGS?!

I'm BAFFLED at this discovery, I'm wondering if its the big harness I cut off?! But THAT seemed to ALL GO TO THE HEADLIGHTS AND THE RIDE CONTROL BS!

If someone (preferably my friend who posted the info about hooking this all up!) wouldn't mind chiming in, I wouldn't mind listening! Haha...

Anyways... Here's the pics, you'll get the jist of what I'm talking about by THEM. Hopefully!

BTW, this motor has ALL brand new gaskets, a worked head (valves) and has been COMPLETELY Rebuilt. I've put every penny and time I've had into this and NOW, I'm OH SO CLOSE! :D

I've also got 3 STOCK 87-88 Intercoolers that are welded together to make one BIG front mount! I just gotta pick it up from my "Turbo Lima Guru" (Chris w/ the Maroon (SLEEPER) Mustang) who actually built it. Its all black and is super sick... Getting it for a "friend price" too! SO GLAD to have a friend with SO MUCH KNOWLEDGE on these Motors. If not for him, I wouldnt have built this within 3 weeks (+-)!!!

On to the show.... Enjoy my project in the making!!!

MY TRUCK.... AWAITING!!!

NOW, THIS IS THE WIRING HARNESS I WAS SPEAKING OF!

"HELLO, I NEED AN LA3 MATE..." :(

My Buddy Chris's SLEEPER Mustang.... Putting down 275 at the wheels at 28ish PSI. Everything is still stock for the MOST part, ported head and manifolds, Ranger Roller Cam (all the stuff that went into MY motor pretty much) other adjustments. No chip software or anything like that though! She's a RAW one wheel WONDER!!! LMAO!

Last edited:

ShotnVA777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Bump for some info on the 1987 T-bird Turbo Coupe wiring harness???

ShotnVA777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!

I got the wiring harness out of an 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe and there's not even a WIRE in #23 on the MAIN plug, for the LA3. THAT WIRE IS SUPPOSES TO GO TO MY KNOCK SENSOR!?

WHAT GIVES?! INSTALLING 1987 WIRING HARNESS ON 1983 TURBO COUPE MOTOR AND BUILDING IT JUST LIKE AN 87!

HEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!

ShotnVA777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
^^^ CANCEL THOSE REQUEST, WE HAD A DUMMY MOMENT!!!! ^^^

We had a 1988 Mustang NA Fuel Injector Harness on it! DUUUUHHHHHH! Thats a PRETTY critical part of the equasion... Seeing as I'm using the 88 TURBO MOTOR! UGH! STRESS, for NOTHING!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals