• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone in southern OHio WIlling to help me?

Superberry111

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bought a 87 ranger that has a pretty decent body and it has a 2.3 turbo out of a t/c with the ihi turbo all stock with top mount intercooler. I was driving and it started to make a noise like and exhaust leak but its coming from the intake side. I replaced the intake gaskets and the valve cover gasket and looked for anything that may be causing the noise but not i have no power at all and the noise got worse. I thought it may be a bad exhaust valve but im not for sure anyone have any ideas or anyone outthere that could help me.

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like head gasket to me. do a compression test on all cylinders, I will put my $$ on cylinders 3 and 4 being low. the felpro 1035 is a replacement, as is the 8993.

Superberry111

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
whats the odds of a cracked head... i have a whole other engine thats been rebuilt just needs a few little things...the felpro 1035 is the better head gasket right?

Superberry111

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
also which felpro head gasket comes in the kit from oreilys...it dosent specifiy..im guessing its the 8993

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cracked head between the exhaust seat and intake is common, start with a compression check to at minimum verify that is issue #1. If the head gasket is bad, typically you will have no compression between two adjoining cylinders- my guess is #3 and #4. If you have to do a head gasket, perfect time to inspect the head while it's off.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 8993 is a more forgiving gasket. Plenty of people in the 2.3t world have made 350+hp with them & prefer it to the 1035 because if something happens it acts like a fuse and gives out first before any real serious damage can occur. The 1035 is much more prone to surface imperfections and should really only be used on perfectly flat (freshly milled) surfaces. I have the 1035 on my '91 & the 8993 on my '92, both with oem 12pt head bolts.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also if you go on turborangerforums.com there are a lot of members in the Ohio area and most are willing to help.

Superberry111

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also if you go on turborangerforums.com there are a lot of members in the Ohio area and most are willing to help.
Speaking of that i am a member on their but it will not let me post anything on their and ive tried messaging the admin because whats the point in joining a fourm to get information but cant post for help?

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thats weird, I know only the classified section is off limit for new members. Whats your user name?

Superberry111

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats weird, I know only the classified section is off limit for new members. Whats your user name?
It's is the same as this one and I even messaged the admin and haven't gotten a response or nothing has been fixed

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals