• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oh no! Another EGR delete question

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never attribute to malice things that are better explained by stupidity.
*Disclaimer* I am well aware of legal, environmental and technical issues surrounding EGR deletes. I'm installing a stainless steel header on my turboranger to replace the leaking stock manifold. I have two options: 1. install a bung somewhere to connect the EGR tube to. 2. Delete the EGR, and tune the EEC to accommodate. Is there an inexpensive "plug in" to tune only the EGR aspect on my stock LA3, or can I put a bung somewhere else besides the header? (does EGR need that specific, manifold exhaust pressure to function?) Thanks!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
just block it off, unless you are going to Medford or Portland they won't know, and even then it's just a sniffer test not visual... It wasn't a very active control I don't think. I blocked mine off because I keep breaking the dang valves...

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
My only concern is the excess combustion chamber/exhaust temps over the years. I've heard older engines are generally not as sensitive to EGR removal, but how old? 60's, 70's? LOL I'd leave it on if I could find a practical way to do it. I do a lot of long distance driving and really don't want to cook my valves and/or turbo. What do you think about re-locating the CO2 source to the elbow, or downpipe? The EGR pulls exhaust via intake vacuum; it's not pressure driven...is it?

Last edited:

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I decided to replace the EGR tube with soft, copper tubing and connect it to the downpipe. (Flares, no solder joints) The only question that remains is will it work right with the lower exhaust pressure that's present there. Seems to me it would work, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm doing the job next Monday. 4/20 Thanks!

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Delete it, you won't hurt anything on a 2.3... I cut the port on the intake off flush and put a pipe plug in the hole on both my trucks. Makes a much cleaner looking engine bay.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I like that you kept it and plumbed it, good choice. It does help with emissions. The older style EGR did use a smog pump, thus pressure, but not on your engine, it should work fine as you have plumbed it.:icon_thumby:

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I like that you kept it and plumbed it, good choice. It does help with emissions. The older style EGR did use a smog pump, thus pressure, but not on your engine, it should work fine as you have plumbed it.:icon_thumby:
Emissions and cooler combustion chamber temps just seem to trump the other options. Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals