• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 Turbo 4x4

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It lives!! :yahoo:

Got it registered the other day, went to pull it out of the barn and blew a brake line :annoyed:

Anyways engine combo is mostly stock '88 TC spec but I'm using the '92 dual plug top end on the turbo short block because I wanna save the crack free turbo head to port later.. Ported e6 manifold & 3" dp are the only basic performance mods to the engine. I also kept it DIS ignition but only using one coil pack.

>>>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCStDAcgpaU <<<<<

Last edited:

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dyno it, I'd like to see what torque numbers you get.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Sounds like it's similar to mine :). The turbo and 4x4 are fun sometimes but can get annoying when you need more low end than 8:1 compression can give...

I need to do some things to mine, hopefully get to most of it this summer, I really want to switch to the LA3 computer I have...

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Haha, my truck is never gonna be crazy off road vehicle. The factory 4.10s should work out just about perfect with the 31s I want to eventually run on it. If I need more gear I always have 2L/4L :icon_thumby:

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am currently sitting with 30x9.5x15, 3.73 gears and the M5OD. Will probably go to 31" max when these tires are bald from my own foot on the go-pedal, and then re-gear to 4.56. I did some calculations on highway cruise rpms and 4.10 doesn't quite get me to where I want, and 4.10 for the 8.8 rear and D35 front seem to be very hard to find and VERY pricey compared to 4.56. 1st gear in 4hi will be plenty low, enough to start tearing up other driveline parts like u-joints, front hubs, etc.

As for the low end grunt, I wonder what flat top pistons would do to remedy the "pre-boost" rpm range without affecting full boost CR and detonation. I am running Megasquirt, so I imagine I could tune around some of that. I know of a fresh .030 over block with flat tops and ARP studs top to bottom for sale for a fair price, problem is it's in Jackson MS. I sold this engine to a guy last February that now has cold feet on his build. Brand new engine.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
4.10's and 31's works pretty good, I ran that setup for a while, and they fit stock with some minor rubbing...

Yeah, with 35" tires the 5.13's aren't quite enough gear for highway driving, at 55-60 I hunt a lot between 4th and 5th gear, I did the math and I think I'm right at 3000rpm at 60 in 4th, I have to be going over 60 to use 5th efficiently if I'm not on flat ground.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals