• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

chevy rpms

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I have got a 1996 chevy k1500 5.7l. my question is this normal? when i floor it going about 45 it will go to 3000 then climb up to 5000 and change. but if i floor it at about 25 it will go to 4500 then to 5500 and change.Does anyone know how i could fix this or if it is normal i checked the automatic transmission fliud and it has enough so i was thinking about changing it and the filter if that would help since it doesnt have a kickdown cabel i was thinking it does it hydraulic. any help please?

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When it downshifts it depends on the speed and gear ratios it's not always going to go to a certain RPM.I think those have a 4L60E tranny the e is for electronic it doesn't need a cable it has a throttle position switch.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
When i use ti floor it it woukd kickdown and go to 4000-5500 rpms then change. Does the amount of fluid have any affect and does the filter have any effect on kickdown

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I accidently overfilled it just a little bit but does the amount of fluid have anything to do with the kickdown or rpms? And also i was thinking about changing the fluid and its never been changed before and it has 186,000 miles on it will it hurt to change the fluid? Thanks.

DankTank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...
Doesn't sound like there's anything wrong. The computer usually handles shifting (as far as I know). It has more to do with the conditions. Is your auto 4-speed or 5?

Shouldn't hurt to change the fluid. You might consult the truck's scheduled maintenance

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals