• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trying to get to know my Ranger Custom

JukkaK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Hi,

I have a 1989 Ford Ranger Custom. My main question is what does "Custom" mean? Is there some differences that I should know?

Recently I bought front satabilizer bar bushings telling the parts guy that it's -89 Ford Ranger 4x4. I got wrong parts and noticed that there are no links in the stabilizer bar ends, it is bolted straight in to the control arms. There are similiar bushings used in the ends and in the middle of the bar.

Does, for example, this have something to do with it being "Custom"?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The "Custom" was a more basic package than the XL or XLT.

There were two styles of sway bars used on the front of the early Rangers. There was one in front of the axle bolted to the frame, and the one you seem to have that runs inside the radius arms. All my Rangers only had that one, one guy I knew only had the forward one, my B2 has both.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yep. Custom is the most basic form of ranger surprisingly. For any other vehicle "custom" means it has more custom options than a standard vehicle. In the ranger world "custom" means you can "customize" how you want it based off the most plain jane base ranger lol.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yep. Custom is the most basic form of ranger surprisingly. For any other vehicle "custom" means it has more custom options than a standard vehicle. In the ranger world "custom" means you can "customize" how you want it based off the most plain jane base ranger lol.
Yeah, I am pretty sure that the Custom was an S or SL (depends on the cab) which were the most stripped version of the Ranger, with options hand picked by the original owner.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2 of the three Custom trucks I have found were custom ordered fleet trucks.

For example mine is a special order "Fleet Green" color. One I found last weekend (a 1990) was a mint color. The other one I found (another first gen) looked like it had been painted silver with a broom, I don't know what the original color was.

Generally basic trucks. Rubber floor, vinyl seat, manual everything (maybe automatic trans). Mine did have A/C though.

Someday I want to get a Marti report and see if it says who ordered it.

FWIW Custom trucks are not very common.

Most older trucks had the sway bar mount inside the radius arm crossmember and bolt to the radius arm. Possibly changed when the D35 came out, my '86 XL parts truck was just like my '85 Custom.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
My custom was as simple as it could be. No cruise, no AC, bench seat, rubber floor, no head liner or interior panels/carpet. It did have a Tachometer and was a metallic grey/charcoal color, and was a 4x4 4 cylinder. Interesting combo.

JukkaK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds about right. I thought that Custom was something special but at the same time wondered why the hell it doesn't have an A/C or any fancy interior or exterior trim. Mine is equipped with 2.9L and automatic transmission, the colour is grey/green(ish) and it has a long cab.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals