• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No A.C. after pressure washing engine

Tonytitan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I took a pressure washer to my engine compartment to knock some of the grime out. Looks like I knocked out my AC in the cabin also. It doesn't appear to be a problem with cooling; the tubes carrying refrigerant are cool and wet with condensation. I think it's a vacuum/door control issue. I have no vacuum at the heater control valve regardless of setting. I get hot air out of all outlets all the time. At interstate speeds hot air blows thru the heater outlets even with the control switch set to off. When I leave the interstate it stops blowing. I clamped off the coolant to the heater core but the best I get is ambient, uncool air. Every vacuum line I can find is in place and secure. I'm so confused!

The truck is a 1998 Ranger 2.5l 5-speed.

Last edited:

Blu Bug

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Having same problem. No one answered you so, I guess no one would answer me either.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Don't power wash your engine.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I don't know about the 98 but earlier rangers use a cable for the bypass door. The newer ones use a electric mechanism also on the heater compartment in the dash, but you probably have airbags that will compound your issue

IIBRONCOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Now you know just one of the reasons you shouldn't power wash an engine in a vehicle. Ask me how I know... It is tempting though and looks so good when you're done.

RangerRock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I sugesst going through the vacuum lines one by one. Have an 03 Focus, was having issues with my EGR causing it to fail inpection. Afyer replacing and testing individual components and $200 later found a small pin hole in a vacuum line. Dont take much of a hole to stop vacuum actuators from working.

You may have washed some crud off your vacuum lines and have a small vacuum leak or got water in a check valve and its stuck not allowing vacuum to the hvac controls.

Though i believe the blend door in the 98 and newer are electric actuators.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The blend door is electric but the vent actuators are still vacuum. Simple way to test for vacuum leaks on the hvac system, let the truck sit for 10-15 minutes then pull the line off the resevior. If it hisses the hvac system is holding vacuum...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals