• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission Guides?

BudgetB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone,

I used the search function but did not find anything. I'm wondering exactly what tools will be required to change the clutch on my '98 3.0 with and M5R1 and 4x4. I understand the order of things but I'm going to be doing it on my driveway over a weekend and don't want to have to stop halfway through. My truck sits at the stock height on 31 inch wheels. Will I need to buy a jack and stands or will a ramp under the front wheels suffice?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Ramps would be helpful. I'd lift the whole truck up if you can, ramps under the front and jack stands under the rear. It just helps having the extra room to move things around.

A 13mm swivel socket and long extensions are helpful for the bellhousing bolts.

I find it's easiest to remove the transfer case before removing the transmission - in this order, remove the shifter(s), jack under the trans and remove the trans crossmember, let the jack down and you'll have easy access to all the t-case mounting bolts. Remove t-case, then you have easy access to the bellhousing bolts from where the t-case was.

One other trick I use is when installing the trans, roll both windows down and put a 2x4 through them. Then a ratchet strap down through the shifter hole and around the bottom of the trans, and back up to the 2x4. That way you can have the trans supported by the ratchet strap and be able to work under it, installing bolts and getting it lined up, without a jack in the way.

Plan on resurfacing the flywheel which will require a trip to a machine shop before you can bolt on the new clutch.

3.0's are pretty easy to do clutch jobs on, getting the starter out and back in was the hardest part IIRC.

Make sure the CV joint in the front driveshaft doesn't come apart, it's kind of a pain in the ass to put back together.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals