• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 clutch. Mystery issue, and bleeding

Jimmyrig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It ain't stuck till it don't move
I shifted from 5th to 4th Friday and there was nothing there, like I was in neutral. Tried 5th and it was the same. I pulled over, stuck it in 1st and it worked fine, until I shifted to 2nd. Stopped again, let out the clutch in 2nd, and the truck died. So I put it back in first and float shifted it all the way to 5th with no issues. When I got home I yanked the tranny and sure enough there was a washer from somewhere wedged in the pressure plate, at idle it stayed wedged on one of the rivets for the plate, but at cruising rpm it was getting pulled in and wedging the plate back so it wasn't putting enough pressure on the clutch.
Threw a new luk clutch and a new slave, the pilot bearing was in good shape and still had grease in it so I dabbed some grease in it and saved myself that headache. I lightly greased the input shaft and pilot, stabbed the tranny, hooked up the clutch line, and let it gravity bleed while I installed the transfer case and buttoned everything up.
I followed up with a regular bleed on the clutch, but somethings not right. First the pedal would stick just off the floor, and after a few more pumps I could hear a noise in the bell housing then I would get full stroke on the pedal. This continued through bleeding but went away after I quit getting air. Next I did the standard pump the pedal for several minutes just to be sure, and it still behaves like I've got air. 3 to 4 pumps and I still have to coerce it into gear, and I have to double clutch it to shift down.
There was only about 25,000 miles on the old clutch, the majority of it highway miles. It didn't have much wear, so I'm betting it's not the pilot bearing, this would narrow it down to either air in the slave, or my 2 month old clutch master not doing its job. Unless I'm missing something.
Any ideas?
It's an 85 4x4, with a 2.8.

Jimmyrig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It ain't stuck till it don't move
Solved

Firewall flex. I ended up welding an old lug nut to the rod, and hooking it up to the pedal. I actually have too much throw in the pedal now, so I will be picking up some stuff so I can make the rod adjustable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals