• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual rebuild, now no 5th gear

Rowesouth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
97 Ranger XLT, 4.0 engine, M5oD trans.
Did complete drivetrain overhaul a month ago, all went fairly well except now fifth gear won't stay engaged. Had trans all apart, replaced bearings & syncs; reassembly went well, all shifting seemed fine.

Get it all back in the truck and first road test i have reverse and 2st four forward gears. But 5th pops out of gear. Shifter seems to go all the way (and it looked engaged when i was assembling), but as soon as i let the clutch out it pops back to neutral.

I'm guessing I've got something in backwards or an adjustment is out of line. Before i tar it back apart, i'm hoping for a bit of advice on what to look for.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Worn out 5th/reverse shift fork would be my guess.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Shift fork or possibly the lock ball on the shift rail. See parts 16, 17 and 18 in this diagram

Renegade Jeeper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
97 Ranger XLT, 4.0 engine, M5oD trans.
Did complete drivetrain overhaul a month ago, all went fairly well except now fifth gear won't stay engaged. Had trans all apart, replaced bearings & syncs; reassembly went well, all shifting seemed fine.

Get it all back in the truck and first road test i have reverse and 2st four forward gears. But 5th pops out of gear. Shifter seems to go all the way (and it looked engaged when i was assembling), but as soon as i let the clutch out it pops back to neutral.

I'm guessing I've got something in backwards or an adjustment is out of line. Before i tar it back apart, i'm hoping for a bit of advice on what to look for.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
I know it's been a few years, but did you ever figure this out? I have a 2002 Ranger 2.3L that's doing the same thing after a rebuild. Pulled it back our and everything appears to be fine, and I can even spin the input shaft by hand without it popping out of 5th or binding.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals